Wanted Alpine Stars Al-Mega DX or XT (pre e-stay)

drexal77

Dirt Disciple
My holy grail bike since i was around 12 is the Alpine Stars Al-Mega DX or XT (pre e-stay). If anyone has one they want to sell i would desperately love to buy it and i would cherish it till the day i die.

Hey oldfrank, I really only wanted the pre e-stay. But I doubt I’ll ever get one. Do you have any images of your e-stay & a price? Thanks

Hello,

Thanks for sending, i was really after a 91 yellow and white fluo if i was to buy an E-stay. Do you know what year bike this is? As this is the fourth purple Al-Mega i have been offered? There still lovely bikes but just seem as rare as the yellow and white ones. Do you know what the difference is between this and an ealier yellow and white fluo e-stay? what size is the frame? and how much would you want for it? And would you know the postage cost to east london? Do you still have the original stem and handle bars? Have you had from new? Is there anything wrong with it? cracks in frame? I can see the left shifter doesn't look stock?

I had this up for sale last month but ended up splitting it... The frame, fork, seat post, stem, bars, front Shimano XT mech & cantis , XT Chainset are still available. If interested. PM me...

AlpinestartsXT (2).JPG

The purple/blue almega above is a 1992. The reason you probably see more of these than the 91's is that the earlier ones were prone to cracks. Note the big gusset on the head tube/down tube of the one above to help address that issue. Easiest way to tell between 91 and 92 is the rear drop outs are a lot different.

As for a 90 they do come up but infrequently compared to the estay models which arent exactly easy to find either. I had been looking for a 90 Al-Mega and even rarer perhaps an 89 MS Racing CR II. I got lucky and managed to get both earlier in the year so they do crop up but the CR II especially is something I had been looking out for a long long time.

The purple/blue almega above is a 1992. The reason you probably see more of these than the 91's is that the earlier ones were prone to cracks. Note the big gusset on the head tube/down tube of the one above to help address that issue. Easiest way to tell between 91 and 92 is the rear drop outs are a lot different.

As for a 90 they do come up but infrequently compared to the estay models which arent exactly easy to find either. I had been looking for a 90 Al-Mega and even rarer perhaps an 89 MS Racing CR II. I got lucky and managed to get both earlier in the year so they do crop up but the CR II especially is something I had been looking out for a long long time.
Wow you are my hero. You know so much about Alpine stars. I have only just learnt the full history and about MS racing and just watched a you-tube video on the MS CR l. Man that is an incredibly rare bike well done. Did you get a 90 DX or XT? i guess you will never sell the 90?
So i guess the 92 XT almega is black coloured frame with silver decals. Do you know what came after the purple and black frame? So nice to meet a fellow Alpine Stars fan.

Just found the whole AS wiki page, so now understand the entire range, would be awesome to see an image of every bike they produced till the end, but for me the best years were the 90/91 with fluo etc. Thanks again for the help. Such an awesome brand they really pushed the designs through those few years they were going.

Hello,

Thanks for sending, i was really after a 91 yellow and white fluo if i was to buy an E-stay. Do you know what year bike this is? As this is the fourth purple Al-Mega i have been offered? There still lovely bikes but just seem as rare as the yellow and white ones. Do you know what the difference is between this and an ealier yellow and white fluo e-stay? what size is the frame? and how much would you want for it? And would you know the postage cost to east london? Do you still have the original stem and handle bars? Have you had from new? Is there anything wrong with it? cracks in frame? I can see the left shifter doesn't look stock?
Yeah, I hear you. I have an a* stem, which I can photograph if you are interested. Also have a* bars. But I don't think they are the megalite. They look steel and black. Size is 19inch, so a large I think. The left shifter is not the original dx either. However, everything else seems right, even a*tyres, which are still functional.

Price? I dunno, it's one of a number of bikes, and I recently got it back on the road and have gone to n+1 I'm looking to move to n-1. Crazy, I know.

Back