All roads lead to Diss....to Madgetts

TreaderSteve

Senior Retro Guru
Hello,
Second time I've been to Madgetts, a wee road-trip from Cambridge, but worth it.
Just a heads-up really; a great shop and (I assume) Mr Madgetts is a top chap. He was building-up a Torus/ Dynatech titanium frame for some lucky customer on the bike-stand that I noted.
I took the last pair of x-lite canti-bolts at 199* prices (£9.95), I took a new XC717 rim in black to make a pair for my build and a new pair of IRC Mythos with red-walls for £40 the pair.
He has loads of other stuff, I probed him for 'new' Shimano bits but they're all gone, he has lots of chainrings, some newer, some older I guess. I also saw a black and a red TNT cassette lockring, again at old-school prices, a new Crud-Claw and some other small bits on the 'naughty tree' carousel. Stacks of 2nd hand components - they might be worth a look-see too.
In another cabinet I took a laced but virtually new Ringle front hub in purple, but also in there were he told me a full set of Control Tech cantis - I didn't ask the price, but would be 90's prices, not inflated. A brand new X-lite Fly stem too for 65 or 70 (90's new prices only!), Onza Ho cantis and some funky Goldtec front hubs - one in gold, another I can't remember but I think it had a carbon centre with ally flanges (Not Pace). He also has a matching 36h pair of Mavic 317's I think they were and other 26" disc Mavics. All new and just hanging about....
I could have bought the lot and flipped it all on Ebay but that's not for me. My previous trip I spent £90 for bits I will use, this time £150! But there's more to be had for the discerning buyer looking to poke around a lovely shop. There are loads of clothes - there might even be some cool old retro stuff of that delectation too.....
So there you go - well worth a trip just over into Norfolk - just don't buy it all and flip it for a profit! Well, you can if you like....
There's not much else of note in Diss, other than a nice deli called Fredericks tucked-away in a courtyard where I got some great local cheese. Yum!
Good hunting!
Steven

Last edited:
Well as I had a 'man' in today happily laying a patio for us (I did the hard work, digging out the soil and putting in the skip - just in case you were thinking ooer, he's made of money!) I thought I'd pop to Diss to Madgetts again.

£200 lighter......don't tell the missus...
Here's the Ringle from last time in the piccies. Most of this will be going on a 91 Explosif.

A nice new box of Controltech cantis for £70. New and nearly new Pace 'rings (as marked for new and £15 for the barely used), a Ti front axle and a rear too which was needed anyway to re-space an XT rear from 130 to 135 and a Ti stem, whose box was marked Fast Feather. P'raps you lot can confirm if it is, or not?!

The guy's a bit shrewd but a proper bike guy - he didn't seem to want to budge on much but the TNT was a tenner and the axle £15 rather than marked (1990's price!) of £16.95, so can't complain.

It was a toss-up between the Ti stem or a new 'Rocket Science' one in ally - which was well nice and probably the same weight. He wanted £60 for that...new though....so he's got some bits still - I haven't had them all and I gave you all a chance since my last post in August!

There's lots of new stuff still - a couple more Ti axles F&R, an alloy rear axle (for the very lean time-triallist, gulp!), Ti expander bolts, Onza HO front pair, Goldtec front hub in blue (sorta slightly bulbous one), Goltec front (loverly, with gold centre portion and black flanges - switswoo), a cool BICI front hub with carbon centre, a Specialized 'Stout' front hub in it's wooden presentation box. Oh, and did I mention a Controltech quill stem in 1" (black) and 2x Syncros aheadstems in their boxes?! A couple of long-sleeve Orange made in Britain shirts in medium with sorta tartan collars - nice, would have had one, if it was large. New Nike Poobah in UK 7 on 'special'.

Shame the deli was shut otherwise I'd have had some local cheeses to bring home.....anyway, still worth a trip if it's not too far for you....or call him and see if he'll post....

IMG_0936.JPG IMG_0937.JPG
IMG_0938.JPG
IMG_0939.JPG
IMG_0940.JPG
IMG_0941.JPG

Oh and a few pairs of black tyres - I noticed wildgrippers (weighed a ton I thought!) and some sort of Tioga 'mud'-related tyres, with Tioga embossed amongst the tread. A new pair of red Sunn rims of some sort. Some Middleburn middle rings in grey (36t) and lots of other chainrings of various types and vintages - not necessarily MTB and 90's....but as there were so many and I didn't want to rifle through them all there could have been. He's probably got 26" disc rims still from last time.
And, a pair of blue X-Lite enduro barends and Kona Dewey barends, both new too...

Last edited:
Its a rare thing an old style bike shop with some nice NOS stock that isn't getting the "eBay treatment " !. I wonder what this shops road selection is like ?.

Local for me, road selection probably better than mtb as its his thing. Popped in friday for a couple of bits and mick gave me a really nice marin lite roller stem I've been looking for..... for a fiver.

What he dont know, probably aint worth knowing.

Btw if your looking for nos suntour xc pro hubs and sprocket sets....hes got them for very reasonable money, along with some nice onza cantilevers and a smattering of hope gear

Back