Advice needed please

Magpiegifts

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I want to lace up some gorgeous 32h hubs to some existing built Mavic 217 sunset rimmed wheels. Can the existing spokes simply be used again to lace up to the other hubs? The xt hubs laced to the mavics are obviously 32h as well, before the question gets asked 😉
If this can be done I will be taking them to have fitted by a professional.
I'd lean toward the answer being"no" but you never know hey.
Any advice happily received.
T.I.A guys

I don't think that will work due to the size difference of the flanges between the XT and Nukes. Have a measure up but I recall Nukes are pretty small. Plenty of folk advise against reusing spokes but I would do it. I would however replace the nipples especially if they are alloy.

Only someone who knows both hub dimensions can give a definite answer to that question. If you have some calipers you could try measuring the dimensions that determine spoke length. If they are the same or similar, you may get away with reusing the spokes.

You also need to inspect under the rim tape to see where the spokes finish. If they're level with the bottom of the nipple slot, then that is an optimum spoke length for the rim/hub combination. If they finish above the bottom of the nipple slot, then the spokes are above optimum length. If they finish below the bottom of the nipple slot, then the spokes are below optimum length. The reason why this is important is that if the hub dimensions are different, the amount of thread available in each direction to compensate for the difference, determines whether the spokes can be reused.

The other issue is that many wheelbuilders probably don't enjoy reusing spokes. So if you want to keep them on your side, disassemble the wheel yourself, clean all the spokes and spoke threads well, and let them use new nipples.

Great advice, thank you.
If I took it all to a wheel builder and asked them to sort it out for me. Do some source new spokes for the job for you,or is it a case of me having to find the spokes and maybe nipples first then giving it all that way ready for building?

I should add, you've got to dissassemble the wheels to reuse the rims anyway. So if you don't mind the possibility of cleaning spokes and spoke threads that can't be reused, then you can take the spokes to the builder and they can reuse them if suitable.

Great advice, thank you.
If I took it all to a wheel builder and asked them to sort it out for me. Do some source new spokes for the job for you,or is it a case of me having to find the spokes and maybe nipples first then giving it all that way ready for building?
Any good wheelbuilder who builds a lot of wheels should usually have a wide range of spoke lengths available, and/or a spoke cutting and threading machine. However, possibly the covid stuff has affected spoke supply, so this isn't a dead certainty anymore.

Ah ok, I'll start making some calls Monday and get the ball rolling.
Appreciate all the comments and advice given guys. Thank you.
If you have any more pearls of wisdom please comment still.
I did suspect it would probably be this way. I just want them sorted.

Back