Abused Carlton, but what one?

Nieky

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

I picked up this Carlton yesterday and am planning to make it rideable for charity. I am intrigued by the brand and am trying to find out what frame this is. The web is a confusing place, so I am hoping the experts can help me out.

So far I have found a frame number on the bottom bracket shell (2056142), but none on the rear dropout (although that may well be under the thick white paint). It has crespera lugs, and cable guide on top of BB shell for rear gear cable only. grease nipple in bottom of BB shell. The shift lever is a Benelux one. seat clamp bolt still shows Carlton "C", and head badge is present. Seat stays are wrap-over design. The dark green colour appears to be original with grey primer underneath (?). I assume the fork is not original.

I would appreciate your collective expertise, I am getting lost in the Carlton world. Thanks!

IMG_3007.JPG

IMG_3014.jpeg

IMG_3015.jpeg

IMG_3019.jpeg

My main concern for this for now is what BB system to go for. The shell measures at 68mm. Would this likely be 24 TPI or 26 TPI? I have a few Shimano cartridge type BBS lying around which would be pretty much be fit and forget.

Likely 1968-72 before the Raleigh numbers and after the Carlton letter in front / behind.

Crespera lugs so could almost be anything as the Tru well frame was used across many models. Pound to a penny its English ISO threads

Some further detective work found W594 on the LHS rear dropout and what looks to be orange contrast panels on down tube and seat tube. 86A63EFF-700A-4D12-ACD0-DDD9A69C65B4.jpeg D4AF5E79-312C-4242-BCFB-AA1AF4945177.jpeg
943849D7-BF9C-43FB-BBFD-C3153A9A9470.jpeg

Likely 1968-72 before the Raleigh numbers and after the Carlton letter in front / behind.

Crespera lugs so could almost be anything as the Tru well frame was used across many models. Pound to a penny its English ISO threads
Thanks. The frame feels pretty heavy at 2.5 kg, so no fancy steel I guess.

Tru well wasn't the lightest but not to be sniffed at. I time trialled as a schoolboy on a chrome Carlton Cobra. The W prefix on the dropout might nail the exact age. Green and orange rings a bell. Later international or the model with three words that nobody remembers lol

Maybe the green points to a Franco Suisse but on a Saturday night the mind is a bit fuddled, still trying to think of the one with the odd name...

Maybe the green points to a Franco Suisse but on a Saturday night the mind is a bit fuddled, still trying to think of the one with the odd name...
Thanks, that is helpful. It feels like a nice frame, and it has no real damage, just surface rust and a few minor scratches. I look forward to building it up.

So based on the patches of original paint that I managed to uncover while sanding the frame, I have finally managed to identify the frame using the 1968/69 Carlton catalogue (link).

It is a Carlton Dynamic Clubman in bronze green flamboyant with orange and white panels.

The sizing fits, and my frame is the 5 speed version. Date matches serial number, and lugs and seat stay wrapover fit too. Nice!

50E80588-D228-4C28-935F-166099C826C0.png

Back