A tale of human honesty. Raleigh Castorama/Laurent Fignon

Montello

rBotM Winner
Re: A tale of human honesty. Raleigh Castorama/Laurent Figno

Nice 3 page article in this months cycle sport magazine on a bike very similar to this.

47p2

Senior Retro Guru

^^^ I've just read that article

Ideale

Old School Hero

There's an article on Laurent Fignon's Raleigh in the August Cyclesport magazine with some good pics of the Deltas

sng45

Dirt Disciple

Ideale":1pxcnhh6 said:
There's an article on Laurent Fignon's Raleigh in the August Cyclesport magazine with some good pics of the Deltas

That's my bike ! Chris Sidwells ( Tom Simpsons' nephew and journalist ) came to my house with a photographer who'd recently photographed Fabian Cancellara's bike to do the article.

They took photos of quite a few of my bikes and I think next month the feature is on my Gold plated Colnago "oro" followed by my Gianbattista Baronchelli Colnago and my Felice Gimondi Bianchi - and maybe a few others.

Nice to see them in the magazine and I enjoyed the article.

Steve

BigFoz

Retro Guru

So the upshot is. Fantastic find. Really honest person. and the nicest Raleigh ever made was actually French and not made by Raleigh... :)

bigfatron

Retro Guru

sng45 - your bike is an ex-Fignon frame by Cyfac?
I'm afraid I was a bit disappointed.
Your bike is lovely, but I bought Cycle Sport expecting to see the actual bike handed back to Raleigh by the team after the 1989 TdF, the one that was displayed in the Science Museum

Montello

rBotM Winner

sng45":dlug26xl said:
Ideale":dlug26xl said:

That's my bike ! Chris Sidwells ( Tom Simpsons' nephew and journalist ) came to my house with a photographer who'd recently photographed Fabian Cancellara's bike to do the article.

They took photos of quite a few of my bikes and I think next month the feature is on my Gold plated Colnago "oro" followed by my Gianbattista Baronchelli Colnago and my Felice Gimondi Bianchi - and maybe a few others.

Nice to see them in the magazine and I enjoyed the article.

Steve

Just read the feature on the Gold Colnago; very nice ... although the nerd in me did notice that although the brake levers were stated to be 50th levers they are not ... seems someone just took the 50th discs / cable end pivots and put them on another set of levers.

retro

Retro Newbie
Well for anyone that was interested in my Raleigh 753 rsp for sale...

Turns out that I had something different in my possession and didn't realise... As I've said before I'm not a roadie.

Firstly I owe the sincerest of thanks to Matt_Wood off of here who turned up this evening to potentially buy my bike earlier... you have actually just returned a little bit of my faith in people with that gesture of honesty and kindness...

I let Matt take it for a test spin and he had a good look at the bike whilst I left him to it... he realised I didn't know what I had in my possession and rather than rip me off and make a profit chose to show me.

It appears I was a bit oblivious to the fact I own a Raleigh Castorama which was frame number 1 for team rider Laurent Fignon in 1990

Kind of gob smacked! Apparently not the original paint job either.

Funnily enough had I listened better at a point in time when this was passed on to me I might have known more about it.

I bought this off an old school friend who's father had owned it. I'd done his dad a few favours in the past and as he'd hung up his riding boots (the father) due to being knocked off of his time trial bike he sold/practically gave this to me. I seem to remember my friend saying something about it being a tour bike... but thought he meant some sort of tour replica.... not that it had actually been round the tour!

Anyway. Photos of the frame serial number and campag lugs etc below.

I'm interested in knowing more about the history of these... and also an indication of what it might be worth to the right buyer?

I might ebay it but I'm also considering keeping it now as it's got historic value. Any information and advice would be greatly appreciated

p4pb9805253.jpg

p4pb9824247.jpg

p4pb9824243.jpg

p4pb9824245.jpg

p4pb9824248.jpg

p4pb9824246.jpg

More pics below on link

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/chilled76/album/Classic-Raleigh-for-sale/