A Sheffield Langsett restoration. {Now for sale BTW}

...picture?
I know I said it before - but it really is time to rebuild this old thing. I've just fitted the Bayliss Wiley bottom bracket (new 1/4" balls obviously). It feels snug, there's no play and it turns smoothly - looks like a win... But there's a lot of adjustable cup protruding, more than I remember at least. Does this look ok to anybody, or could a ball from this side have dropped during assembly and is preventing the cup from going in fully? Given it's smooth and snug it seems unlikely - whadya think?
langsett bb.jpg

Last edited:
No, not right at all. Going to unassemble today to see what's what.

And yes, Langsetts were made in Sheffield. I see today in the VCC latest News and Views that the ME has recovered some info from his predecessor, so I'll be onto him again to see if any more light can be shed on my Langsett.

No, not right at all. Going to unassemble today to see what's what.

And yes, Langsetts were made in Sheffield. I see today in the VCC latest News and Views that the ME has recovered some info from his predecessor, so I'll be onto him again to see if any more light can be shed on my Langsett.
Sorted! Who would have thought you could fit too many balls? I never thought it, but did it...12 a side instead of 11. Schoolboy error.:rolleyes: I'm surprised it felt as snug and smooth as it did.

Accles & Pollock? Not 531?
I've just remembered I wrote this on the "Langsett Appreciation" thread a while ago - talking about forks:
langsett A & P.JPG
This, of course, is an Accles & Pollock stamp (although I didn't realise it at the time:rolleyes:) and I guess this means the whole frame is probably made of the same stuff, not the 531 I thought. There are a couple of mentions of A & P tubes in Stuart Smith's little book - but nowt after about 1932. This may mean my frame is earlier than I thought, or the forks are from an earlier model. No idea!

Just had a read through.. lovely.

Back