A Sheffield Langsett restoration. {Now for sale BTW}

Somehow managed to miss this. Looking good. Did you manage to put a date on it?
It's all a bit confused. (Or maybe that's me). Frame number (52160) looked like a 50's job, but style and age ruled this out (and less than 60 frames were produced in Jan of '52). Frame number records for Langsett builds only started in the 50's period as it happens. The EF Russ forks, and comparisions with other models, place this old thing defintely in the 30's. Whether early or late, or even into the post war era when builders used what they had "left over" after the war (when most turned their attention to supporting the war effort), make it difficult to accurately date it. What's partiularly telling, in my view, is that the little book about Langsett of Sheffield makes it clear that A & P tubing was only used up to about 31 or 32. I'm guessing this applied to A & P (EF Russ) forks too. Sadly, the author of said book died before I could talk to him.

As for A&P not being used after the 30’s I wonder if a few tubes got used as you said just after the war?
This was certainly the case with Claud Butler and right up to the end of his ownership in 1956 when he was playing off suppliers depending on who he could extend his credit with.

Enjoyed this.

Those moustache bars are super interesting; a reach similar to a drop bar, but very limited drop 👍
They're "LAUTERWASSER" bars. Named after the guy who designed them. Mine are modern of course and widely available, but vintage are around if you have the dosh! Popular bitd. And I should add, they make for a comfy riding position for a creaky old chap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woz

Latest posts

Back