A question for you mechanics and gear heads...modern stuff!

Mickeyspinn

rBotM Winner
Ok I have a project in the wings it's not the next in line ....possibly not even second....but it's going to happen 😁 it's likely to be a winter evening thing hunched over a lathe 😊
I'm going to require a thin drivetrain and lightweight!

So in regards to cog tooth count and matching amount of chain to make the wrap of said tooth count what is going to be the thinnest and lightest? I'll be wanting 2 cogs with tooth counts in the realm of one at 17 or 18 and one of around 21 to 24...No alloy cogs or titanium must be steel!
Is it 11 speed or the new fangled 12? I see the spacing of 12 is less than 11 so I presume chain is thinner and lighter?

So who knows what?
Anyone got dead bits and kitchen scales? 😘

Shimano and SRAM all use the same thickness for 10/11/12 (1.6mm) so the chain differences are in link thickness, rivet overhang etc.
Campag 12 is thinner (1.45mm)

Decent info here: http://obike.dk/teknisk_info
Even the chain dimensions are listed towards the bottom.

I'm keen to see what you are cooking up!
Great link ! Thank you 👍
Just about all I need in one place 😁

Only thing missing is a little bit more info on the 13 speed however I doubt I'll be that flush to be buying any of it!

I too am keen to see what I'm cooking up 😁
It's a rather cranky concept...
How can I put it without giving it away ?

Hmmm

Imagine having a time machine big enough to take stuff with you that could pervert the course of cycling mechanical history?

A real mash up of neo and retro !

Dinglespeed?
Or a triple chainset fitted to a Schlumpf mountain drive to a Rohloff with two sprockets? Giving 168 gears in total?

IIRC Ekar (Campag 13) is pretty much incompatible with anything else.

Do any of you fine chaps or chapettes reading this run a bike shop doing modern bike service work?
I think I need a source for dead 12 speed stuff...stretched chains...worn cassettes, toothless wonder chainrings and mangled freehubs etc.scrap basically nothing useable but handy for measuring and setting up! Fiddle stuff 😁

Dinglespeed?
Or a triple chainset fitted to a Schlumpf mountain drive to a Rohloff with two sprockets? Giving 168 gears in total?

IIRC Ekar (Campag 13) is pretty much incompatible with anything else.
Hehe Dingle dangle and wangle...that's how it'll work 😁
Schlumpff! Rohloff! The whole build will work out cheaper than a shifter for one of those!
It's a time heavy cash strapped build ✌️
I think 13 speed will be out of reach for a few years....shame...it's got the narrowest chain....I want!

Back