* A NOS Peugeot Super Vitus - Complete Mavic Groupset *

DRuthPDX

Dirt Disciple
After completing a dream of mine, (a NOS Colnago Master Olympic build), I set out to accomplish another.

I owned a 1984 Peugeot Super Vitus that was paired with the typical Stronglight crank, Weinmann side pull calipers and levers, Peugeot branded Simplex rear derailleur, Peugeot branded Simplex front derailleur, etc. Good stuff, but not the best.

I wanted to give this bike what it deserved. I hunted every part down from all over the world. To start, I found a pair of NOS Mavic CXP-30 wheels laced to a pair of 100mm/126mm Mavic 87 hubs. I mounted a pair of white Vittoria Zaffiro Pro's to them. I later tracked down an Atom 6 speed 13/24 freewheel. My next big purchase was a NOS Mavic 801 rear derailleur. I didn't want the 851 SSC version, which only difference is that it's all black, and has a white outline on the cage. I liked the clear anodized version more, so I went with it. The Mavic 811 front derailleur was a very difficult find, for the bike requires a french style braze on, which is extremely uncommon. I was lucky enough to track one down from HilaryStone.com, who specializes in Vintage parts. He also possessed the Mavic 630 (narrow version) crankset that I was after, so I bundled that. I then found a white Concor S. Marco Superiors saddle, as it's always been my go to and favorite seat. After a long search, I then found a NOS Peugeot Bidon water bottle in France to match the bike. My last major purchase was a set of hard to find NOS Mavic 440 SSC aero version brake levers, which came with a pair of NOS Mavic 440 SSC brake calipers.

A few last touches included a pair of Mavic crankset caps, custom made Peugeot bar end plugs, white Christophe toe straps, Cinelli toe strap caps, and some Cinelli bar wrap to finish the project.

A chrome chain stay guard is on it's way. First one peeled up so the seller is sending a new one.

Do you like it? Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• 09.JPG
    09.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 793
  • 08.JPG
    08.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 793
  • 07.JPG
    07.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 793
  • 06.JPG
    06.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 793
  • 05.JPG
    05.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 793
  • 04.JPG
    04.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 793
  • 03.JPG
    03.JPG
    207 KB · Views: 793
  • 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 793
Re:

Nice bike but lose the wheelchair tyres in favour of some nice Vittoria or Veloflex gumwall retro style ones . .

:cool:

Re: Re:

rusty bodie":3bisb4oc said:
Nice bike but lose the wheelchair tyres in favour of some nice Vittoria or Veloflex gumwall retro style ones . .

Have to agree, lovely bike really do like it but I'd run skin wall tyres on it and benotto style / type bar tape.

mdvineng":3esfxape said:
I like it very much but would add Mavic pedals too :)

Thanks for the love! I prefer the aero Maillard pedals with the Christophe toe clips and straps. Similar to my campy c-record pedals. Plus, the Mavic pedals only come in those big clumpy clip-in style, or the older version, which isn't a style I'm particularly fond of.

rusty bodie":2q2hqktq said:

Haha! Thanks. Wheelchairs don't actually come with white tires though guy. But you should do that with your build, along with the rest of the world, as that's the norm. I however decided to go with white Vittoria Zaffiro Pro's because of an older Basso I built years ago. Thanks for the love/hate. I don't follow the herd if you catch my drift though, being a sheep was never my thing...

Maca":13l6esjz said:
rusty bodie":13l6esjz said:

Have to agree, lovely bike really do like it but I'd run skin wall tyres on it and benotto style / type bar tape.

Thank you thank you. Gum walls are too traditional for me though. As far as the Benotto wrap over Cinelli...I prefer a little cushion for the hands, plus, I don't care for Benotto's shiny colors.

Re:

I don't understand the gear lever position in relation to the position of the chain :?

Is it only me?

Mike Muz 67":92hcn9jp said:
I don't understand the gear lever position in relation to the position of the chain :?

Is it only me?

Only moved the levers for the pictures. Didn't bother rotating the crank.

Re:

Ah, I see!

I used those levers on a bike with a Mavic mech, but when in first or second gear, the lever was almost parallel to the downtube, pointing at the chainset!

Mike

Latest posts

Back