A little advice please. Manitou owners

Magpiegifts

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Calling Manitou owners. I'm trying to find out what length BB axle I need to run a m900 chainset on my 1996 fs? Currently I have a titanium Syncros bottom bracket installed 122mm which was originally for a kooka chainset. I think it might be ISO standard because the xtr sits 4-5 mm out on the taper.
As you can tell, I know very little about bottom brackets. Just the basics to get by.
And who better to ask than an army of very knowledgeable manitou owners.
I know the Shimano is JIS standard.
But as I don't want an expensive mistake I'd appreciate any advice offered . Thanks guys....

Last edited:
Just checked sheldon browns spreadsheet and it say 107 up to 113mm so you’ve got up to an extra 6mm if it’s enough. I’d suppose it will have implications on the chain line if it goes too much more though.

Last edited:
Ok that's great, thank you for that.
I know theres a fair few on here with Manitou fs bikes,would like to hear from them what length bb they are using.

M900 is 107mm for the 47.5mm chainline, its the crank that brought super low profile to Shimano's range.
If you need to go wider and run the 50mm chainline you can use the 113mm and still be in specific.
They are the two sizes,
There is 110mm but that came later and only used if you need a bit of extra none drive side clearance, it doesn't change the drive side.

Hopefully that backs up what anything said above, as I haven't read it yet.
So 107 or 113, if you are using fat, sorry large 34.9 mech band, then go 113.

P. S. Syncros is standard JIS.

Last edited:
M900 is 107mm for the 47.5mm chainline, its the crank that brought super low profile to Shimano's range.
If you need to go wider and run the 50mm chainline you can use the 113mm and still be in specific.
They are the two sizes,
There is 110mm but that came later and only used if you need a bit of extra none drive side clearance, it doesn't change the drive side.

Hopefully that backs up what anything said above, as I haven't read it yet.
So 107 or 113, if you are using fat, sorry large 34.9 mech band, then go 113.

P. S. Syncros is standard JIS.
Thankyou fluffy chicken for that. 113 it is. I think if I ran a107 there wouldn't be enough chain clearance from the stays due to the chainring size.

My normal rule and I know others use it, if the band was the largest, then go for the wider bottom bracket.
More flexible with the 31.8 bands on Alu-O's etc. It gives a bit of extra room and the stroke from small to large ring with the mech is further from the centre axis on these mechs.

Err..
Might show the stroke a bit better.
So it you place the crank (and hence rings) a bit further out, is helps the mech out too.

But either 'should' work.

Latest posts

Back