97 santa cruz heckler finished for now

slowly but surely getting there, picking frame up tomorrow once isolation is over. until then, the judy xl uppers have come up nice, however the damper is empty and the seals are not replaceable. ime going to refill it for now and see how long it lasts, the lowers are stripped ready for paint and decals, might just do a rattlecan job on them to keep costs down, they are only a stop gap until I get some z1's anyway. I've got a set of judy xlc hydracoil on the way too, to see if I can make a working fork between the 2. had a delivery problem with the 1st set so panic bought another set, then the 1st set turned up🤣🤦‍♂️. successfully swapped the 7spd freehub for an 8spd, didn't even need to redish the wheel. it's dead centre. pretty happy so far, just need to overcome the shock mounting hardware problem next when I get the frame back 20211014_112709.jpg 20211014_112722.jpg 20211014_112751.jpg 20211014_112809.jpg

slowly but surely getting there, picking frame up tomorrow once isolation is over. until then, the judy xl uppers have come up nice, however the damper is empty and the seals are not replaceable. ime going to refill it for now and see how long it lasts, the lowers are stripped ready for paint and decals, might just do a rattlecan job on them to keep costs down, they are only a stop gap until I get some z1's anyway. I've got a set of judy xlc hydracoil on the way too, to see if I can make a working fork between the 2. had a delivery problem with the 1st set so panic bought another set, then the 1st set turned up🤣🤦‍♂️. successfully swapped the 7spd freehub for an 8spd, didn't even need to redish the wheel. it's dead centre. pretty happy so far, just need to overcome the shock mounting hardware problem next when I get the frame backView attachment 576811View attachment 576812View attachment 576814
That rear triangle looks great, I quite fancy doing mine as the paint is shot. Can I ask what your process was?

That rear triangle looks great, I quite fancy doing mine as the paint is shot. Can I ask what your process was?
yeah of course, stripped the paint with some bnq paint stripper, messy as hell, then fine wire wool with wd40, then autosol and a rag. I used a dremel with wire brush tool to get rid of any oxidation

20211030_151757.jpg
made a bit of progress today with the heckler. gil at retrodecals came up trumps with the decals, and 3 hours ont tinterwebz Wednesday evening turned out the hardware for mounting the shock. offsetbushings.com sorted out the bushings. front shock bolt is actually an 8mm seatpost binder bolt which has given a very neat finish, and the rear bolt I was surprised at how thin it is, but got a 50mm stainless shoulder bolt from accu. the fork lowers were in primer ready to paint but some of the pitting left behind by oxidation showed through a bit much so I had to sand them back, put a bit of filler over, sand them back again and they're back in primer drying at the moment. Next step will be to paint them and fit them, then I can get wheels etc on.

azonic 2.5" single wall risers, azonic shorty stem, xt levers and xt shifters fitted. fork lowers are off to powdercoaters as the rattlecans just didn't cut it! 20211105_164622.jpg 20211105_164532.jpg

We’re so accustomed to seeing pretty, colour coded hardtails around here.. bikes that look great..

Well, that looks like such a fun bike to ride.. which is better, in my book..

Makes me want to track one down for myself on eBay!

Back