96(?) bomber z3s seized up

Like I said, it's a fork soon forgotten. If it doesn't match the 1997 Z3 manual then somebody may have altered it already.
Get some pictures up.

How is the foot held in, its either a screw/bolt or a nut on Bombers.

It may be the damping elastomer stuck you need to alter or some holes in the damper holder (the part E clipped in)
Check the design of the 1998 Z3's

Last edited:
the insides are ok and match the manual

this is the underside of the outer tube
that hex bolt in green is to adjust the friction damper
and it looks like the bit in red is holding the stanchion

Attachments

• underside.jpg
    underside.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 11
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    441.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5476.JPG
    IMG_5476.JPG
    427.6 KB · Views: 10
that's correct, I've never seen the underside of the fork, no idea why the other flats are not there for part 22

Here's a better blowout than the one in the archive. MY1997 - Bomber Z.3.jpg

Looks like you've got the awkward footnut, with the two flats rather than a hex shaped nut. Item 22 in the exploded diagram above. Seems like there were two types of nut fitted here.

any tips on how i can undo it?? I've tried prying at the edge with a long screwdriver - i dont have any needle nose pliers long enough to reach

in good news the oil hasn't leaked yet even after a few KMs of riding

No 😂 🤔

Your oil height, you may want to drop it to 40mm (45mm if a spring in there side, measured without the spring) then reduce if needed to alter the forks progression.
That full and it'll almost be locking the fork out. It acting as an air spring as is a way to tune the fork a little bit.

hehe yeah i noticed the lack of compression when it was full up. those levels were mostly to check for leaking when i was initially playing with it and left it screwed back together and lying on its side overnight

I've got the levels down a bit but still experimenting. I think 35-40 from the top in the oil only tube and 50-60 in the oil+springs..

Get that spring side increased, take them out and get it to 45mm (when compressed) . I think that's the minimum amount of oil they recommend.

Ok I’ll play with the oil levels some more.

I set the oil levels with the stanchion pulled up. Is that wrong. Should I be doing it with it fully down?
The docs don’t explicitly say and it’s hard to tell from the pics

I’ve been using the z3 light specs because the travel is the same (65mm) I think the oil level recommendation there is 50mm

Always from fully down.
Look at the Z2, I say that as I'm sure the 98Z3 instructions I have seem to forget about putting oil in completely, even though it's mentioned in all the benefits ;-)
It does normally say 'all the way down' with a picture pouring it in.

I'll stick this here anyway

And
bomber oil heights.jpg

Back