'92 Marin Team Issue: Building Your Own Donor Bike (Finished Build: Page 8!)

I really don´t know what you´re talking about. "Too shiny and new"? Is there such a thing?

(tongue in cheek obviously, nice progress. Those nickel plated Marin frames clean up nicely)

Not according to the man above there's not!

Good job, you might want to have a go all over with MAAS especially in the welds (with a toothbrush) just to help hold back any tiny spots of rust from blooming, they will eventually but will just take longer with the corrosion inhibitors in the polish.
One effective way to really delay this would be to soak paper kitchen towels/tissue with evaporust and wrap around the welds covering them in cling film, before cleaning off with white spirit/petrol then apply the MAAS. In California it should never rust again.

Already got the last of the previous tube of Maas on hand Peach! And another on the way!

That said, the toothbrush into the welds, and the evoporust-soaked towels, are both brilliant bits of advice.

Of course, I'd expect nothing less from the master of shiny! ;)

I love this place more and more each day.

Time for a soak in some Citristrip, dabbing a brush over the stripper every few hours, and then left overnight to do its thing.

IMG_6435 2.jpeg

Well, that escalated quickly:

tempImage3yMfoB.jpg

Very pleased, and I still haven't touched the Maas!

o_O

Just a wipe over with paint stripper after wash:

tempImage4s7zJb.jpg tempImageTdY2xz.jpg
tempImageKpU4Ja.jpg tempImagesXlXCA.jpg tempImageNxWal5.jpg tempImagecUt6M1.jpg

I'll give the nooks and crannies another going over with the stainless steel wool and WD40, followed by some of Peachy's trick's. Then its polish and buff time!

Hopefully the mix and condition of parts combined with those little imperfections dotted about the frame will keep the finished bike from looking too pristine...

I'm sure the trail dirt and LA smog when it's built-up will take care of the rest!

Last edited:
So these have clear lacquer over the polished surface? Asking for a friend who has a ´94 Team Issue and difficulties removing rusty freckles.

Wow! That's looking brilliant mate

That looks fantastic, all the time and effort definitely pays off👍 I’ve a similar project on the go and been there and there’s something very rewarding in seeing all your efforts come to fruition 👍 My ‘96 Orange P7 I’d nearly write off as the surfaces had got so bad in places but using the same methods I pulled it back 👍
I did use a dremel with finer attachments for the books and crannies and helped loads.

Attachments

• 63F7B6D2-55B8-44F1-ABAE-8EFDB2D48DB9.jpeg
    63F7B6D2-55B8-44F1-ABAE-8EFDB2D48DB9.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 29
  • B2BF9823-722D-43A5-9B75-204DD6112B71.jpeg
    B2BF9823-722D-43A5-9B75-204DD6112B71.jpeg
    623.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 77599D85-FACB-4454-8A22-68CC7220E9A8.jpeg
    77599D85-FACB-4454-8A22-68CC7220E9A8.jpeg
    294.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 452C76CA-9237-4D22-8E42-61DF5E716245.jpeg
    452C76CA-9237-4D22-8E42-61DF5E716245.jpeg
    542.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 4B143C11-CAC5-436E-8923-6900ADA5D10E.jpeg
    4B143C11-CAC5-436E-8923-6900ADA5D10E.jpeg
    436.9 KB · Views: 27
So these have clear lacquer over the polished surface? Asking for a friend who has a ´94 Team Issue and difficulties removing rusty freckles.

They do, as do a lot of the nickel plated frames, apparently. Lots of people on here have posted threads detailing what's involved in getting it off, and I just followed the advice in those. The GT85 and Spontex route is so simple, and worked so well.

Even subbing in WD40, because you can't get GT85!

(Side note: I was browsing my 1996 Mountain Bikers Almanac the other night, lol, and noticed they featured a can of the stuff in their buyers guide. So what gives? Where did it go? Who removed it from the US market?!)

That said, I know some people have had a harder go of it than me. And maybe that's because the damage was worse, or they wanted to do a more thorough job? Or maybe I just got lucky? Because there really wasn't much of anything left to remove after the initial rub down. I probably could have even skipped the Citristrip step, but I'm glad I didn't. It definitely did a nice job cleaning up whatever was left and adding some extra shine in the process too. Using the after wash was really the key to that part tho.

Anyway, it's definitely a very rewarding process. Just zone out for a few hours with some tunes on, or the football in the background, and make peace with steadily attacking the pitted parts little by little. I find moving onto another spot nearby when an area is particularly stubborn and coming back to it later does wonders for the will power and general mood!

A lot of frames really don't need a lot of work to turn around. This one looked like weeks of work out of the box, whereas In reality, a couple of very pleasant weekend afternoons was all it took to get it looking decent.

Tell your friend to get rid of that lacquer and stick with it!

That looks fantastic, all the time and effort definitely pays off👍 I’ve a similar project on the go and been there and there’s something very rewarding in seeing all your efforts come to fruition 👍 My ‘96 Orange P7 I’d nearly write off as the surfaces had got so bad in places but using the same methods I pulled it back 👍
I did use a dremel with finer attachments for the books and crannies and helped loads.

That's come up nice @abr303 ! Good work.

Deffo feels great rescuing a frame others who don't have access to the knowledge on this site, or first hand experience themselves, might deem past saving.

I think I'll save the Dremel and buffing pads for a future project. I thought I might need them, but unless something goes seriously wrong when I get the Maas and polishing cloths out, I'm actually afraid this will end up more shiny than I'm comfortable riding around!

Did you, or do you plan to coat the frame with a clear lacquer after the decals have been reapplied? I know some people have done this, but plenty of others have said just a general maintenance wipe every few months/once a year, keeps the worst of the rust away.

Living somewhere as dry as I do, I'm not too concerned about it coming back.

Well, not until I convince the wife and the job to let us move further north, anyway!

Another great start and good lookin machine, having barely recovered from the stress of ‘will he or won’t he find the right part’ from the last build !!!

In my neck of the woods back in the day, the Spesh, Orange & Kona camp didn’t mix much with the Marin camp. Like the Bloods & the Crips !!! …or the Welsh & the English 😂

Looking forward to the build with one hope, you try ride the thing in Marin county when finished and or near Repack if that’s still possible.

ps - I know many of us were racing down local bridle ways in the uk long before the hippies branded themselves as ‘the first’ to discover going down a hill was fun on a bike 🙄 in fact, I wouldn’t put it past a discovery that Neanderthals thought it was pretty fun as well.

But hey, riding a Surrey or a Ceredigion I don’t think would have the same market appeal 🤔

Last edited:
Another great start and good lookin machine, having barely recovered from the stress of ‘will he or won’t he find the right part’ from the last build !!!

In my neck of the woods back in the day, the Spesh, Orange & Kona camp didn’t mix much with the Marin camp. Like the Bloods & the Crips !!! …or the Welsh & the English 😂

Looking forward to the build with one hope, you try ride the thing in Marin county when finished and or near Repack if that’s still possible.

ps - I know many of us were racing down local bridle ways in the uk long before the hippies branded themselves as ‘the first’ to discover going down a hill was fun on a bike 🙄 in fact, I wouldn’t put it past a discovery that Neanderthals thought it was pretty fun as well.

But hey, riding a Surrey or a Ceredigion I don’t think would have the same market appeal 🤔

@Joe*Pro, thanks so much!

And yeah, I knew it would be straight out of the frying pan and into the fire long before the S-Works was even finished!

This place. Sigh.

Being an Englishman that grew up on the Welsh border, I'm kind of glad to hear I'm mixing between the two camps! The heart wants what the heart wants, Etc.

As for Marin county, the museum and Mt Tam: I was just starting out at the bottom of the latter when I ripped that pedal off the White crank on the S-Works! The photo on the S-Works thread about that is looking out across the valley from the road up to Mt Tam. We took a trip up to that neck of the woods for a weekend a couple of weeks ago now.

See here for more:

Which reminds me: I need to update that thread with more bike photos! I've gone and gotten distracted by this Team Issue!

Last edited:
Back