91 Pine mountain - Zolatone

jimbog

Retro Guru
Spotted this on Gumtree recently and picked it up last weekend. As far as I can see every nut and bolt on it is 100% original spec including tyres and saddle. One of the DX shifters had been replaced with some new style tat but I had a spare identical DX module which I have subsequently fitted.
Only downside is a ding in the top tube and a few marks on the frame.

My initial thoughts were to strip it down and refurb the frame but seeing as Zolatone is so hard to replicate I thought sod it. I really like the idea of keeping the bike original so I am not doing anything with it other than adding some decals from Gil. I also like the fact that it has a few marks as it is 22 years old!

Took it out for a good spin today accompanied by little markie on his newly built 90 Eldridge. Love the ride of these old rigid bikes and she didnt miss a beat.

002-7_zps1e129d9f.jpg

003-7_zpse36127a8.jpg

007-2_zpsa943971e.jpg

008-2_zpsc435af8e.jpg

018-3_zpscef9c854.jpg

015-3_zps24aa57c2.jpg

jimbog

Retro Guru
Planning to detail a few areas I.e the hubs/cantis but I want to have it as a useable bike so not going to go mad. Will update post with any changes made. Looking forward to getting decals on.

jimbog

Retro Guru
Added the new decals from Gil last night -

004-6_zps799ea74d.jpg

009-2_zpsae3a6fd0.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii37/jimbog_album/009-2_zpsae3a6fd0.jpg[/IMG
[img]http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii37/jimbog_album/008-2_zps52e67a85.jpg
004-6_zps1b8075ff.jpg

001-9_zps8aba094f.jpg

marc two tone

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
nice. the decals have made a big difference!

Are those DX shifting ok? they often get lazy and mis-fire. nice to see zolatone in good shape though.

great, now i want one, thanks...i think ;) :LOL:

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Loving this very nice with the new decals really spruce it up...just need to sort the forks and will look even better...Loving your work!

Wook

sylus

Old School Grand Master
Agree with the direction a decent service/set up and new decals makes that a lovely thing..enjoy

chiswickcollectables

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Congratulations.... beautiful bike :cool:

'90 and '91 Zoletone Marin's are right up there for being my favourite retro-rides. Check out my 1990 Elridge in my sig ;)

Enjoy riding it... they're a great ride.