'81 Allin

squirrelchaser

Old School Grand Master
P1050340.JPG
I'm at a loss to know what to do with this . It's interesting because it's not a sought after thing , being neither a Cobb or a Shrubb {I'm pretty certain} but a lovely thing non the less . It's too big for me to use and still requires a fair amount of fettling/cash to finish properly . However because it's not a ''proper'' Allin it's not worth much .
It's a lovely ride but has several ''issues''. Aside from the obvious , it's not finished . P1050340.JPG P1050344.JPG P1050345.JPG P1050351.JPG

The rims {the rear in particular} are wearing thin . I have a pair of Wolbers but they're on some Suzue hubs with tatty spokes . The rear brake requires a long spigot , amongst other things . The chain is no good and the chainrings are far from new .......I don't like not doing things properly but to spend the kind of money it would need to get to the point I be happy to sell it as a bicycle is crazy . I guess this is almost a ''how much do you think it's worth '' post , but it's confused further for me because I don't really want to sell it anyway......

It's a nice looking bike but how can it not be a 'proper' Allin with it having the branded seat stay caps? It appears to be a competent build even if not Cobb or Shrubb built- so who else built Allin frames? There were loads of good builders freelancing in the London area BITD.

It's a nice looking bike but how can it not be a 'proper' Allin with it having the branded seat stay caps? It appears to be a competent build even if not Cobb or Shrubb built- so who else built Allin frames? There were loads of good builders freelancing in the London area BITD.
I agree with you , but there are those who would say that even a Shrubb built Allin is not ''proper'' . There is always debate about pedigree {rightly or wrongly} . I said it because there are a few visible imperfections in the building finish . The centre point of the top head lug is not quite centre of the top tube and there is a small amount of braze splatter around the wrap arounds . I was assuming it was built by Ray Moore but have no way of knowing and tbh I don't really care ! Its a nice thing , as you say .
Oddly enough I have a number of these ''nearly was or almost ran'' things , I have a Grubb that's a Holdsworth and a Holdsworth Pro that isn't orange and another Holdsworth that's an RJ Quinn.....I like them all though.

As regards your question “how much is it worth?” You probably already know it would garner more and sell more easily broken down into a frameset & parts.
Some might say that’s a shame but then again if it’s not safe/rideable in it’s current condition and only viable as a wall hanger maybe it’s better that you sell it as a frameset so it can be built up for a 2nd life?

As regards your question “how much is it worth?” You probably already know it would garner more and sell more easily broken down into a frameset & parts.
Some might say that’s a shame but then again if it’s not safe/rideable in it’s current condition and only viable as a wall hanger maybe it’s better that you sell it as a frameset so it can be built up for a 2nd life?
I'm going to have to learn to let things go . I used to be able to ride a 22" but find the top tube the problem these days . The Holdsworth Pro is the same .

I decided , with prompting from a higher power , to make it safe to ride and then sell on as unfinished . My wife is having chemo and I have twins so my time is stretched thin at the moment and I want to fund a custom frame so.....
I got another set of Weinmanns and a chain .
I cut the thread further down the new front brakes' spigot and cut off the excess . You can see how bad the old caliper was !

P1050383.JPG

Bar tape and tidy the cables ....

Attachments

• P1050386.JPG
    P1050386.JPG
    556.3 KB · Views: 6
  • P1050387.JPG
    P1050387.JPG
    765.2 KB · Views: 6
  • P1050388.JPG
    P1050388.JPG
    364.1 KB · Views: 4