3D printing bike parts ?

videojetman

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Does anyone know if it’s possible to 3D print from aluminium ?
I have a couple of items I need replacing on my bike which will be impossible to source now.
The only other option would be to Have the parts cnc’d which might prove very costly.
If anyone has any experience with 3D printing with aluminium of cnc machining please left me know.
Many thanks.
Jeff.

Re:

Wish id saved it but there was a company offering ‘affordable services’ like this on facebook recently. They were UK based. The price of getting this done is coming down all the time. When i priced up a car part last year it was crazy money. Sorry i cant be more help but im interested in this thread too.

Re: Re:

M-Power":17vblesy said:
Wish id saved it but there was a company offering ‘affordable services’ like this on facebook recently. They were UK based. The price of getting this done is coming down all the time. When i priced up a car part last year it was crazy money. Sorry i cant be more help but im interested in this thread too.
Thanks for the reply. This is what I need making.

Attachments

• FD81AA4D-0669-44D1-8D66-5E68CEEFD30D.jpeg
    FD81AA4D-0669-44D1-8D66-5E68CEEFD30D.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 582
  • CE96D7C6-4642-4C9B-B87B-6B29A3AB191B.jpeg
    CE96D7C6-4642-4C9B-B87B-6B29A3AB191B.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 582
Aluminum is rather unusual for metal laser sintering. I guess the machines exist but the most common metals are: stainless steel, titanium, Inconel. It is waay more expensive than CNC machining. I got a quote once for a head-tube badge (Nuke Proof cockroach) to be printed in Stainless (cheapest) and it was over 150$ for a small flatish head-tube badge. Since the original parts are CNC machined I think that CNC machining would be the best option. Besides the surface finish of the CNC parts would be way better. Either way you will need a 3-D model of your parts.

syncrosfan":112iptut said:
Aluminum is rather unusual for metal laser sintering. I guess the machines exist but the most common metals are: stainless steel, titanium, Inconel. It is waay more expensive than CNC machining. I got a quote once for a head-tube badge (Nuke Proof cockroach) to be printed in Stainless (cheapest) and it was over 150$ for a small flatish head-tube badge. Since the original parts are CNC machined I think that CNC machining would be the best option. Besides the surface finish of the CNC parts would be way better. Either way you will need a 3-D model of your parts.

I would have thought etching would be a good way to make a headbadge, it's how you make brass plaques.
Send me a drawing of the stem.

Latest posts

Back