wadsy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I plan to do a build with a 1x10 set-up and I'm looking for suggestions please for suitable components.

So, which shifter?.. rear-mech? (clutch?) cassette? (11-36) plus expanded cog? cranks? chainring? (32T narrow/wide)?

Anything else?

I had thought Sram X0, but the cassette is rather expensive!... So, I'm thinking XT level sorta stuff or is it worth going less expensive to check it out first?

Cheers

Hi Martin,
Is this your first outing into 1x setup? I have nothing to offer sadly as I've not ventured into single ring territory before. Sram xo is definitely quality I have a full xo 9speed running on one of my bikes. But as you said yourself it's bloody expensive!

Hi Martin,
Is this your first outing into 1x setup? I have nothing to offer sadly as I've not ventured into single ring territory before. Sram xo is definitely quality I have a full xo 9speed running on one of my bikes. But as you said yourself it's bloody expensive!

I did have an xtr 1x10 set-up on a Santa Cruz Superlight I built a while back, but didn't really get to try it out.

That consisted of an xtr shifter, xtr RD, xtr (11-36) cassette and a Race Face Carbon (cinch) crank-set. I had bought an expander cog to try, but didn't get round to it and sold all the kit!

It seemed like it would work well, but is was quite an expensive set-up.

The RD was actually modified (iirc) with a shorter cage from another Shimano mech, can't recall which one, but I wasn't sure if it would've worked with the expander cog!... I think it was probably maxed out with the 36T cassette!

Cheers

I plan to do a build with a 1x10 set-up and I'm looking for suggestions please for suitable components.

So, which shifter?.. rear-mech? (clutch?) cassette? (11-36) plus expanded cog? cranks? chainring? (32T narrow/wide)?

Anything else?

I had thought Sram X0, but the cassette is rather expensive!... So, I'm thinking XT level sorta stuff or is it worth going less expensive to check it out first?

Cheers

You can't really go wrong with SLX or XT stuff, price wise they aren't miles apart.

1x10 is a bit older now I think, you might want to look at 1x11 etc. I run 1x12 SLX rear and it's doing just fine so far.

If you want to try it out on the cheap, have a look at used Microshift Advent stuff. It's basic but reasonably functional. Should be able to pick it up used for peanuts.

I had 1x10 on the parkpre... XT clutch rear mech, deore shifter, Shimano cassette 11-36 I think (can't remember which one, but it was nothing special) and an eBay cheap NW chainring. It worked really well, chainline wasn't perfect because cranks were triple and not dedicated 1x, but I liked it. I had an adaptor sprocket, I think 40t, but didn't try it as the cassette was rivetted and I didn't get around to separating it.
From my experience, I'd say NW chainring and clutch mech are well worth it, but I guess it depends on the type of riding you do, etc

I'd go bigger than 11-36 on 1x.
11-42 or more ideally.
Clutch mech and narrow wide chainring.
After that it's down to personal preference really, Sram or Shimano, both have their merits.

Slick shifting set ups I have:

27.5 wheel
165 XT cranks; ZEE 10 speed shifter, shimano XT 11-36, 15 and 17 removed, 16 inserted, Hope 40 T-Rex expander, 30 Hope narrow-wide on front. Light and slick set up. SLX rear mech - clutched, never use clutch. Never lost chain - chain exactly right length in lowest gear, with mech almost at full extension. Inner and outer stops set precisely. Shimano chain with Connex split link.

26 inch wheels
170 Deore cranks; ZEE 10 speed shifter, SRAM PG1050 10-36, 15 and 17 removed, 16 inserted, OneUP 40 expander ring, 32 Hope narrowwide on front. Light and slick setup. XT rear mech. Chain set up as above. Shimano chain with SRAM split link.

26 inch wheels
170 XTR Cranks, XT 10 speed shifter, SLX 11-42 cassette. 32 Blackspire narrow-wide up front.
Heavier because of SLX cassette. Deore rear mech. Chain set up as above, Connex split link. Slick shifting and bombproof. Climbs walls.

Last edited:
Have been running 1X10 XT clutch mech and shifter with a NW ring, no problems at all, though i do hear good things about the SLX range. Good enough for most things, ride in the Peak District with no trouble. Like said above, things have moved on a bit so 1X10 should be a bit cheaper now also.

I've got a few 1x 10 set ups, xtr and xo. All really good. I actually might have a spare x0 1x10 gear set up, possibly others.

You don't have to run xo cassette, any 10sp will do the same job.

Have a 1x11 too, can't say I notice much difference. Rear cog size is personal choice based on the rides you might do. I haven't needed a dinner plate sized cog myself.

Back