1999 Santa Cruz Super 8: rescue job! - Finished..!…?

My early Bullit had a similar mount, you were supposed to be able to slide it back and forth to adjust. Apparently nobody actually tested that as it would just slam back to the slacker position the first time you went over a bump.

They replaced them with mounts that didn't have the slot at some point. I got a warranty front triangle and they sent me the newer mount as well.
That’s really interesting, thanks. When I was looking at the slot I couldn’t work out why it would be done like that - it strikes me that on either extension or compression, a slot means all the force is on one bolt rather than both - so the version I’ve drawn up to have made is exactly the same but with two drilled holes rather than the cut out slot. Thanks for confirming it was the right decision!

Incidentally, here’s another of the colour schemes - based on Ford Ultimate Green (from the focus RS), but I still Think the grey. I should maybe try a period correct (ish) yellow before it’s actually painted.

0A9D3AA9-749C-413E-819F-C6032A4B8412.jpeg

Always regretted not getting a more ridiculous paint job on the Bullit. Back then you could order pretty much any weird combination of main frame and swingarm. With three different types of finish, one stage powder, shiny/metallic two stage and anodized.

Love these, interested to see what you do with it. What's going on with the shock mount, looks like it's either got a bolt missing or has been made so that shock clears the frame?

Couple of pics of a similar project I did, it's been moved on now though. Lairy colours would be great!
Wow! So glad you managed to sort that frame out! Looks amazing 👍🏻

Stripped down and properly inspected this weekend. It’s the first time I’ve actually had a chance to look over it properly. As I already knew, cosmetically it’s in a ‘right state’ - cables, chain and rear mech fit only for the bin.

I’ve never even seen a jockey wheel this worn before;

F0FBF1FB-1139-489C-AF1A-EEC4BC646067.jpeg

Now on to the bad.. :-D

With ‘structurally sound’ from my original post still ri going loud, of COURSE the shock mount plate is cracked through one of the holes;

BFC73007-B15D-4674-81D7-6DF3B0E9BD66.jpeg
So if I want to actually use it, i need to decide whether a weld, welded patch or replacement plate is needed. Which has to happen before paint.

Which leads nicely into - the Inside of the swingarm is waaayyy more complex than I had realised from the pictures I’d looked at. I don’t think the paint scheme I had planned is going to work at all, So I’m probably going to go with Nardo Grey without the highlights, and use components to add the colour - which is a shame! I’m going to speak to the painter this week and see what he thinks.

88DFBBA2-5FF5-48C1-8345-053965EA6B98.jpeg

All in, though, it’s a fantastic bit of early DH kit. Oversized everything and multiple machined parts. The rear brake callipers arch is 3 pieces that bolt together through the swingarm, bolt-on dropouts. Bonkers.

Nice, going to be following this!

On the shock mount plate: run a straight edge across the top of it, and if it is distorted, check the other side too.

It should be possible to paint the inside of the swingarm a different colour, it's more work and hassle for someone, but that doesn't make it impossible. Having that area highlighted would show off how cool it is!

On the colour: As a lifelong Ford fan, (BP ;)) Ultimate Green is an awesome colour, but the Norlando Grey would look more awsomer on this frame.

drawing dropped off at the metalwork place yesterday. Part should be ready next week.

Frame has gone off for sandblasting, then the shock mount is being welded up and redrilled.

Here‘s a renaissance painting-esque picture of the frame at the metalshop!

1C7F5030-E027-4DB7-A6EB-B3E4B950ABC4.jpeg

Predictably, colour-wise I’m having second thoughts on the grey, so I’ll leave it as a “watch this space”. I’m off back to the UK soon so won’t pick this up until November. In the meantime I’ve got this and several other projects to find parts for!

The grey looks great with the contrasting bright decals, recently had my Azonic DS1 done in a similar colour after much deliberation, green scheme looks good too

Back