1999 Specialized "RockShopper"

slackboy

Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Picked up this Rockhopper today for the princely sum of £60 via facebook. Its mostly just dirty and oily so just needs a strip down , wash and rebuild, which is currently in progress :)

I'm a big fan of Rockhoppers and Stumpjumpers of this era. They look good and have nicely thought out kit and I had a rockhopper FS from new which I stupidly gave away when I got back into mountain biking in 2014.

the plan for this one is quite simple - give it a service and then set it up as a shopping bike with slick tyres (specialized, natch) guards (SKS chromoplastics via Planet X :)), panniers and lights. I'm tempted by a cheap dynamo hub set up - but we'll see.

There are a couple of irritation with this bike that I need to address:

1) although the drivetrain is 9 speed , the shifters are 7 speed STX, which is weird as the rest of the bike is so original. Anyway I need a set of M570 (the gun metal ones) if anyone has them
2) the bottom headset bearing is rusted solid - even though the rest of the bike shows signs of being relatively recently serviced - does anyone know the size o the cartridge bearings for a specialized/tange OEM headset?

PXL_20220109_144431028.jpg

I'm particularly pleased with this one because, as well as being a really nice colour, its an exact match for my partners bike , albeit hers is a tiny 13" one that I got off here a few years ago.

PXL_20220109_144510973.jpg

Good work

Ta. Shame the pictures are missing from yours - sounds like it was a in a bit of a state.

This one is pretty much perfect , although I can't tell if the headset bearings are actually the right ones as there is definitely a gap at the crown which would explain why the bottom bearing is rusted badly.

Running into some teething problems with this build.

1) the postal service is messed up with so the headset bearings that were shipped a week ago haven't arrived yet.
2) the mudguards just *don't* fit

Now I'm prepared to put with a bit of a gap, but you could probably fit the Evergreen through there. Anyhow, problem solvers do a "fender flute" which fits inside the steerer tube and provides a lower mounting point. The £10 special mudguards are turning out to be a bit pricey.

The rest of bike is coming together nicely. I sourced some M570 9 speed shifters off here to replace the 7 speed ones fitted and they have arrived today.

I've also splashed out on a hope headset from @velofrog who I hope won't be too upset at how down market his components are going.

A rummage through the parts bin has turned up some "security" QR axles and and allen key seat clamp to replace the crappy one the bike came with.

A further rummage has turned up some specialized nimbus slick tyres which will suit its intended purpose pretty well.

PXL_20220116_162905306.jpg

First shakedown ride of the rockShopper today, to glamorous Accrington town centre.

The new shifters are good, a bit sticky but that will loosen up with use. I've stuck some riser bars on to make it more comfy. Not going to win any beauty pageants, but it is practical.

Downsides - I somehow managed to lose the key for my unlock between home and destination, so had to fork out for one when I got there. Luckily Accrington has a half way decent bike shop.

I've taken the front mudguard off until the widget arrives. It's just too embarrassing otherwise.

PXL_20220119_161435185.jpg

PXL_20220119_161428995.jpg

Nice one, my type of bike tbh, not necessarily "pretty", but comfy and bombproof.

You mustn't be a million miles from me, God's country!

Fitted the massively ott headset to this today. Also took the opportunity to buy a proper headset press from eBay and am impressed by both the ease of fitting and the tool quality.

I'd definitely recommend bicycle_service_centre and I won't be using a block of wood and a mallet again.
PXL_20220226_133659295.jpg

PXL_20220226_133820961.jpg

Latest posts

Back