1998 Kona Hot

spacehopper

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Re:

Ive got a thread on upto date 26" tyre options, do you mind if I quote your review there?

no i dont mind :)

another thing ive found.. is that due to their increased weight and resulting carcass stiffness (compared to maxxis..) ive ended up running a couple less PSI for the same sort of feeling..

currently 21 front 24 rear for woodsy fun type riding.. :)

i saw some of a gmbn video a while back of one of them (rider came from an enduro / DH background i think..) doing something like a 24 hour ride.. i think.. and the rider had put barzos on as an 'xc tyre' to reduce rolling resistance and they seemed a little uneasy about them at the start of the video which turned into a more.. oh these are alright actually..!

spacehopper

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
took the hot for its first 'proper' ride in the Peak this last weekend.. (its done a few hundred miles of local stuff up until now..)

From a Rainbow to sideways rain and gail strength winds..

ACtC-3d5Q1biHv9ueVWCbPSN282YojA65l3FpBDyz3vLDJf7ajqmDMsyXKrE3AI5VISGxHkf5EwSMisuAv010ZhqDI-Ot5SmXViAND7WdaFDv2-Jgta7EMomunS4avzDnpmOy6Qh-qBE27idAxLrUTYBqCG87w=w1230-h936-no

ACtC-3d9r4i9wzX2IjNZyWoC0U8-qHv7A_qy8cpvh-jBVw3BKn7fKeeXksXn3oS_TgSwj9QlI2vr8l6HZEbD5kFsbod5tCywLX5wefrEjslf0fG24y_ozn4ZY5TrICAxqmavjN4xkNMN1Tx8CPaA4EPWGVJmyQ=w1664-h936-no

ACtC-3diCnBo0ZCz9-kEiM3xj6TsNfcLZoSdouW4BIRHl_L6cOfCaGOfQ7S3R6GIguwnyrr1e_YX_xaVIr5xhLW8cPJGJwLu3s3Bi_H36RatyQqPs_s-NMWtHuv1RZPONLnOxvtlQPEkXRxv4gCB1vAX5Xb3sQ=w1249-h936-no

Its had a few more parts upgrades and is now pretty much where i want it to be.. so it might be time to revert it back to a rigid singlespeed for winter.. :LOL:

al-onestare

Kona Fan
Really pleased to see this being used as it was intended; ridden hard and fast!

Just need to add some front chain-rings and a front mech ;-)

ratbane

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
al-onestare":4sppigc7 said:
Really pleased to see this being used as it was intended; ridden hard and fast!

Just need to add some front chain-rings and a front mech ;-)

I think the single ring setup is ideal - as per my Explosif. I know it's not "retro", but "resto" is cool. :D

mk one

Old School GrandMaster
Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
:cool: looks great, perfect bike for up the Peak, though you picked the worst weekend to go :LOL:

spacehopper

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Re:

Just need to add some front chain-rings and a front mech

what is this hideousness you speak of?!?! * Vomit Emoji * :D :p

it does have an emergency Granny ring tho for er.. end of day no energy emergencies... but dont tell anyone.. oval single rings are the future! :LOL:

spacehopper

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
ACtC-3dG-yGuIO0d04KxuyUXUaAINXowvoVHWyxqtsmO_qcCgU91DznufLekNlMz1TUG-9159Hbg63oXKH_F5XG5mKkHSjVp3ol34fMk8RHt1yNlZ6RGoLyT36P2_d0mHGFbxklnk0dGYTCR9REX4a2QHeIb1A=w1288-h966-no

transformed into a singlespeed 'gravel' flyer for winter night rides after work..

from 'hardcore' XC Trail Hardtail... to 700C wheeled rigid forked flyer..

tis versatile this 'Ot!

19lb in this guise! :cool: