1998 Bianchi Nth Steel is Real Build Thread

MuchAlohaNui

Senior Retro Guru
Hello to those who found themselves in here. A long story short and historical summary... I originally bought the bike for VGC green/skinwall Wildgripper tires and VGC blue SID front fork and was going to flip the rest of the parts and frame. The bike originally had a mix of XT m739 and Avid components. The original owner (me being the second owner) bought the bike as a frame-only option from Bianchi in 1998 for 3,000 DM in late 1998. The original Rock Shox Sid fork (shown below) was purchased in early 1999. The green/skinwall wildgrippers were also purchased in early 1999 as a spare set and the celeste colored Nth grips (shown below) were also purchased as a spare set in early 1999 by the original owner. While not NOS, the tires and grips are vgc.

From what I came to learn (with some help of user Ibbz), the steel frame is quite rare and in person, very nicely made. Over time I went back and fourth about keeping or selling the frame and I suppose somewhere along the last four months or so I decided to keep it. But not in the configuration from when I picked it up. This frame was Bianchi's premium steel frame and the SID fork was Rock Shox new high-end fork of the day, but the components to some extent didn't live up to those key points. Plus, I admit, I am pretentious at times so the XT/Avid stuff needed to go.

The original XT bottom bracket was shot, over tightened and binding while spinning the cranks. There was a bit of corosion found in the bottom bracket shell that needed to be neutralized and dealt with. The original Race Face stem had rusted bolts and a bit of corrosion and that needed to go. The fork stayed (after swapping on a 99' red SID long travel for a bit) and the green wildgrippers that came with the bike are on my Yeti-built Homegrown Team bike (and is a separate build in and of its self). The frame when stripped was checked for rear derailleur alignment and rear dropout alignment & width before the rebuilt took place.

1998 Bianchi Nth x34st:

Frame: Bianchi proprietary steel frame
Fork: Rock Shox SID XC 1998
Crank: XTR m950
Rings: XTR m950
Chain: XTR IG90
Cassette: XTR m950 8-spd
Derailleur F: XTR m950
Derailleur R: XTR m950 SGS
Brakes: XTR m950
Brake Pads: XTR m950
Brake Levers/Shifters: XTR m951 ST
Hubs: XTR m950
Skewers: XTR m950
Spokes: DT Swiss
Rims: Mavic SUP 121
Tires: IRC Mythos XC F: 1.95, R:2.10 (Mahalo @prof farnsworth for the tires, @ibbz for facilitating the sale)
Bottom Bracket: XTR M950 NOS
Stem: Roox Danny's SID blue
Headset: Ritchey Pro Logic
Bars: Race Face Air Alloy
Grips: Bianchi Nth
Seatpost: Roox
Seat: Flite Titanium/Bianchi colab
Cables: Jagwire Celeste

3O1F4004.JPG 3O1F4005.JPG 3O1F4006.JPG 3O1F4007.JPG 3O1F4008.JPG 3O1F4009.JPG 3O1F4010.JPG 3O1F4011.JPG

Last edited:
I actually enjoy the grade school, primary color scheme. Of course, my opinion is biased because this is my bike, but I think it works pretty well.
In some ways, it feels like the green should be bold ..... but then it's a Bianchi, so the green has to be celeste.

Bold green, like Starbucks apron green would look cool as well. Though, the logos are sprinkled with Celeste green so I thought a little bit sprinkled here and there would be ok plus the bike needed new cabling anyways. I know some people pretty much go 100% celeste or nothing, but that's just too much for my taste and I am not a die-hard Bianchi fan anyhow :LOL:

It’s lovely😊

Have to say, I’m not a fan of the red xtr crankarms, I would paint them the bianchi green then put an xtr sticker on it.

Otherwise it looks awesome 👏

Back