1997 Raleigh (RSP) M Trax 250 Comp. 19", N. London.

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Temporarily (?) withdrawn from sale as I decided to sort out the minor issues. May list for sale with revised price once sorted.

In two minds about this - it's a actually a really nice riding bike. I found it has a very solid, planted, but fast feel to it. Frame feels really stiff, but nonetheless it's obviously steel, and comfy. It's a mile muncher, I think. I wouldn't say my Orange C16R is miles better but given what I've put into that bike I have to hang on to it, and as such this Raleigh serves no useful purpose... so one of you lucky Retrobikers is in line to get a bargain!

Hand-built in England by Raleigh Special Products, 7 cro-moly tubes and mostly Deore LX bits. This is one of the last of the hand built bikes from Nottingham. Wheels have LX hubs with Mavic 238 rims. Bike appears mostly original (see link below for brochure)

http://veterancycleclublibrary.org.uk/n ... ary%29.pdf

I got cheap it in barely-ridable condition due to faulty Alivio shifters, which I replaced with a pair of decent used LX ones. I also fitted the tyres pictured as the originals were knackered - the current ones are usable and have plenty of tread but some cracks.

I have stolen the LX chainset and put it in my parts stash. Currently the CPI chainset pictured above is fitted - it could do with a new middle ring. I am happy to swap the original chainset back for £30 (i.e. £80 all-in with the original chainset as pictured). Depends what your plans are!

Generally the bike appears to be a low-mileage/well-maintained machine - chain, cassette, pulley wheels etc only show minor wear. Saying that, in the interest of total transparency, the front hub is a bit rough and needs a rebuild, brake pads should ideally be replaced, middle ring (on CPI chainset) is worn and needs replacing. The original LX chainset is fine. Note also that the freehub ratchet/pawls did seize up when the bike was in storage, although they seem to be fine now following a lube and some exercise.

Collection only from London N4. It should get you home if your legs are up to it.

Re: 1997 Raleigh (RSP) M Trax 250 Comp. 19", £50, N. London.

How it stands today.

Attachments

• DSCF8948.JPG
    DSCF8948.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 785
Re: 1997 Raleigh (RSP) M Trax 250 Comp. 19", £50, N. London.

Thanks for the quick response. You around this weekend so I can kick the tyres?

Latest posts

Back