1997 Kona Koa build finished

syncrosfan

Senior Retro Guru
Just finished 2 weeks ago. A quick'n dirty budget build out of the spare bins for a buddy of mine. I picked up the frame off evilbay for super cheap but the original red matte paint was completely shot so I stripped it and gave my buddy the frame and the fork legs to paint in a matching white (actually he had the free range of colors but he chose white) Originally I wanted a Stars'n Bars look but when painting time came I was switching jobs and was waay too busy to deal with any fancy three stage paint jobs (and I had just gotten my Ritchey P23 frame and fork through our paint-booth and was out of favors with the painters). Long story short here's the bike. I know it's not a Hot but a "lowly" Koa but I had those decals so I used them. My buddy isn't too much into bikes so he doesn't care if the name's correct.
Here are the specs:
Frame: 1997 Kona Koa, 17"
Fork: Noleen Crosslink
Headset: WTB Momentum
Stem: Easton Magnesium
Bars: Answer Carbon Riser
Shifters: XT 9 speed
Brakes: Avid Speed Dial 5.0
Grips: cheap Chinese tat
Wheels: DT Hugi Sport hubs on WTB Powerbeam rims
Skewers: Salsa Titanium
Tires: Bontrager Trail something...
Cranks: XTR M950
BB: Ultegra octalink
Front derailleur: XT
Rear derailleur:XT
Cables: XTR
Casette: Sunrace 9 speed
Chain: Sram PG 890
Seat-post: Tioga (steel) with a weird 2 bolt setup that require a saddle with a hole in it to even get to one of the bolts
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR (only saddle in the spare parts bin with a hole)
Pedals: cheap Chinese tat
That should just about sum it up.
Weight: 25.2 lbs. Heavy bugger as far as my builds go but some of the components were not exactly the fanciest and I was on a budget so whatever was in the spare parts boxes went on.

Attachments

• IMG_0678.jpg
    IMG_0678.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 812
  • IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 812
  • IMG_0679.jpg
    IMG_0679.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 811
  • IMG_0680.jpg
    IMG_0680.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 812
Re:

I like the red skewers, nice touch. I always got a kick out of those forks every time I saw them. Usually saw them in polish, the white looks nice and clean.

Back