1996 Kona Explosif

Re: 1996 Kona Explosif

mk one":nblptz8l said:
Another thing, when i run one-piece outer i run it straight to the bar on the arm, no noodle.

Yeah, i'm getting a buckle in the cable. Will have to readdress this. Have you got a pic of one of yours? Don't you need the noodle to seat the cable in the arm?

➡️

adroitstif":2pc2ef6w said:
Always fancied one of these; hard to find an undented one. Thumbs up for the tasteful and interesting finishing kit!

Seems to be difficult. This bike was set up for downhill with a braced riser bar and a chainring guard and had clearly been ragged around. There's a couple of subtle near imperceptible ripples from the cable but no dents at all, no cracks. Only bad point is the chainsuck.

Finishing kit has a couple of mismatched parts, i'll eventually match it up.
The Syncros Magnesium pedals and the x-lite titanium caps are two parts I didn't know existed and was glad to add them.

➡️

benjabbi":2drnwg6o said:
Lovely bike, I'd like to try a Columbus Explosif, just to see if I can tell any difference between it and my 94 Tange Prestige frame. 17" is not so easy to come by, I've not tried one but suspect it would be perfect for me, mines 16" and I have seatpost insertion anxiety but wouldn't want the frame much longer really!

Running a 400mm post in this to be on the safe side.

I won't be able to tell until it's finished however I suspect an 18" would fit me better generally especially if primarily for cross country use. I have an 18.5" Rocky which is just too large for downhills and my 17.5"s fit much better.

Seems to be like shoe's, I'm an 8 in most 8.5 and 9 in others.

I love Tange frames I have a few and always been happy with the ride. There is a je ne sais quoi about this one 'tho, I can feel the difference already.

➡️

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":17tya0v1 said:
yes, what are the issues and brake outer doesn't work well for gear cables at all.

looks nice though :)

Just typed a response to this and my laptop restarted :facepalm:

Okay here we go again...

The BB seems to have a lot of axle. Cooks need a 115mm by all accounts.
I'm unsure what's in there I didn't remove it and by the looks of things it may be back to front.
There's a 2mm gap between granny and the chainstay, it's real close.
The front mech won't shift down.

The mech may be goosed, there's a lot of play in the top cage and never having owned an m950 before I'm usure if this is normal.

I'm thinking the first port of call is take the BB and measure it and see if it's in the right way round.

The spacers for the granny are original I think and I installed those on there.

➡️

Attachments

• 20200907_172049.jpg
    20200907_172049.jpg
    677.2 KB · Views: 345

Yeah, the granny ring looks too inboard from here.

The outer with ferrule should not be able to pass through the hole in the cross bar of the v arm so used to just run it up to that.

mk one":2by2ig64 said:
Yeah, the granny ring looks too inboard from here.

The outer with ferrule should not be able to pass through the hole in the cross bar of the v arm so used to just run it up to that.

Okay the mech shifts down, the limit screws were set back to front by a tired mechanic

BB could be a 73/68 or an optical illusion :LOL:

the next step is i think to remove the cup and try it without, also trying to flip the axle

Biggest issue : Headset is stuck tight.

Top race is digging into the steerer (it has two dips or indentations by design with sharp edges) and the lower cup isn't aligned straight with the frame and the top cup (syncros instructions require this)

I've tried hitting it with a big hammer, another mechanic has tried with a bigger hammer, another bigger mechanic with a small hammer :LOL: it will not budge.

There's 1 or 2mm of a gap at the crown race and lower cup, this is the slack that needs taken up

send help lol

➡️

Re:

Granny ring, try it with the washers out.
You middle ring is a modern fat ring so will look a bit odd, with the steel granny
Maybe that why it has washer as it a steel granny.
I think they're usually 7.8/8mm spacers.

Which cooks is it?

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":1dq08vjh said:
Granny ring, try it with the washers out.
You middle ring is a modern fat ring so will look a bit odd.

Which cooks is it?

I'm unsure if it will attach without spacers, they are the one's which came with the set, i'll look at that. It's like 1mm off the chainstay just now!

Yes, the new SPOT ring is much fatter than the cook or the curve

I think they are RSRs which require a 115mm axle (no idea what's in there at the mo')

headset is the real headache oh and removing the stuck limit screw...

➡️

Re:

Just the washers, not the actual spacers.

You should be able to measure tooth to tooth (between rings) which is ~8mm iirc. Though best to look that up as I can't quite remember.

Headset, is it just getting a cup out (picture?)
Do you have the splayed pipe to hammer it with?

Re:

Issue is that the headset has a wedge built in to the top, the cups aren't alingned. It's stuck fast to the steerer meaning we can't knock it down to take up the slack.

Only thing I can think of is to rotate the cups, aligned them properly.

Hopefully that frees it up enough to be knocked down...

➡️

Attachments

• k1.jpg
    k1.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 67
  • k2.jpg
    k2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 65
  • s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 66
  • s2.jpg