1996 Kilauea

Mixi

Dirt Disciple
I started looking around for a Kona bike from '96 or '95 just a few weeks ago. I wanted it to be as close to original condition as possible. Found a nice Kilauea much quicker than I thought. The seat post was stuck but I was able to release it with the help of WD40, freeze spray and some force :)

Now here it is. I intend to chance the tyres and also I'd like to have a shorter stem. Apart from that I'll just replace cables and housing where they are broken.

Attachments

• IMG_7188.jpg
    IMG_7188.jpg
    763.5 KB · Views: 89
I'd like to fit a bar with some rise. How much rise can i possibly thread through that bar clamp?
Most of 25.4 bars that are now availaable seem to have 30mm rise. Will that possible fit through the clamp area?

That looks pretty original spec. Very nice.
How did you get on with fitting a riser? Or did you change the stem?

Very nice indeed - and for sale soon as I just have too many bikes.

I tried fitting the riser but figured it would not be possible without excessive force. I know other perople have done it but it would certainly require a bar with a very gradual rise / no sharp curves.

I switched to a different stem for now...

I started looking around for a Kona bike from '96 or '95 just a few weeks ago. I wanted it to be as close to original condition as possible. Found a nice Kilauea much quicker than I thought. The seat post was stuck but I was able to release it with the help of WD40, freeze spray and some force :)

Now here it is. I intend to chance the tyres and also I'd like to have a shorter stem. Apart from that I'll just replace cables and housing where they are broken.
Great bike smart colours,change of tyres will do it wonders,the black walls seem to dull it down abit

Back