1996 Colnago Master Olympic Art Decor

Benandemu

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've had a long term crush on Colnago's Master, whether it's their Italian pedigree, handmade finish, unique Columbus Gilco tubing, or their sheer over indulgent looks versus the very bland looking offerings from the UK frame builders. My interest started in 1988 when they were very new, and considered the pinnacle of steel road frames. There was a lad not far from me who had a 55cm Ferrari Red Master with full C. Record groupset, and he was selling it. Nobody around here could afford it, and he just wanted rid of the thing, whether that was whole or in parts. Usual story of someone with a big lump of cash buying into a sport they'd never properly tried. Anyway, the vultures picked bits off the that they could afford, and I was no exception here; those Delta brakes came home with me for every penny I had saved. The frame was too far from my financial reach at the time, and I consoled myself with the 531c I had at home. Those Delta brakes looked so out of place on my bike too!
Time moved forward, and steel frames became a relic of the past before too long, plus this new craze of riding bikes on grass and mud had just started up. My attention (and wages) turned towards MTB's and road bikes were abandoned.
The flame never went out for a Master, and last year I started looking again. I was cautious that I didn't want something perfect that I wouldn't ride, so a good usable one was sought (minor battle scars included). It needed to be the last of the alloy Campagnolo Record groups, and still have a threaded steerer so it embraces all of the original concept I lusted after. The one I found had the very rare Art Decor rims made by Ambrosio, which are then factory sprayed to match their partnered frame.

jqqkvs.jpg

A couple of changes have been made under my roof, and that would be the saddle, stem length, and choice of bar tape. The rest are minor tweaks to get it running right. I took it on a club ride with so much in trepidation - would it ride ok, would I like it, could I keep up with all the carbon masses?

Of course.

In fact, it flung me into a world where I've never been before. I've never ridden a bike that causes so much conversation with strangers, and non-bike-enthusiasts alike. It's a beautiful bike, it rides fantastically, whether it's cruising along the straights, or turning through the bends. It won't be bullied out of the saddle up a hill like carbon bikes though; it almost prefers you simply sit down and coax it there using the gears.

Very nice
I love the frame and components but the wheels are maybe too much for my liking. They almost detract from the actual frame which surely must be the center-piece

Thanks for showing it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it

Fantastic.
I can see why strangers come to you for a chat about it.
That really is wonderful. In my eyes, the wheels complete the package - it looks so 'together'.
A candidate for 'Road Bike of the Month', I would suggest.

Keep the pics coming.

Enjoy,

David

PANZR":15ithgad said:
Very nice
I love the frame and components but the wheels are maybe too much for my liking.
+1
I also think it would look better with a black Rolls or Regal saddle.

Back