1995 Marin Pine mountain frame swap (mine is big)

gilmo789

Old School Hero
Picked up a 1995 pine mountain with full xt, and a pair of Marzocchi bombers the other day for £100; couldn't resist. Anyway the frame is pretty big, I'm sure it's the biggest they made at the time (21" ish), fits like a vintage road bike. Was wondering if there's anyone out there who wants a bigger frame and has a smaller one to trade. Mine is in damn good condition considering the age. There are no egregious scratches and no rust to speak of.

Cheers

Re:

I'm not interested in selling. I had it out today, went up Conic Hill above Loch Lomond, and it was great. I've not really done very much mountain biking so I don't I'm not overly familiar with how to size frames. The pictures all seem to suggest a frame that has a foot and a half of seat post. Presumably this is to protect the soft bits...

Unless you are planning to some serious technical downhill or get a quick swap, I might be tempted to persevere. It is enormous for anyone under about six foot 2ish, but I had a friend bitd who was 5 foot 7 and rode a 21 inch Stumpjumper Comp with no problem (bought at considerable discount on a student budget and the last one in the shop).

Great find btw.

I think I agree, Greencat, I don't really mind the cyclocross feel, I quite like making my road bikes suffer on imperfect terrain so i'm used to the TT. I doubt I'll every do anything too gnarly on it. Surprised at how good the old bombers were too (Z4 Flylight air, 2000); I guess they slacken out the HT angle a bit and as a bonus give me huge bb clearance.

I'll keep this post here and if someone comes along with a 17.5 I'll consider the swap.

I've deduced from the geometry herin (http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 5.pdf.html) that mine is a 19" not the 21" i had assumed earlier

Back