1994 Clockwork

Si90

Retro Newbie
I've been lurking around the forum for I while now taking in all the great bikes that are on here but feel I should re introduce myself having not posted much apart from a couple of times a few years ago. At the time I had just started to source parts for my 1994 Orange Clockwork that I had owned from new and had decided that after many years of faithfull service and being the recipient of much abuse from me the old lady deserved a little TLC. I always looked after it but 20+ years inevitably takes it's toll.

For various reasons that plan stalled and the bike remained much as the day I bought it. As you can see in the pic below it had lost the classic look and gained some seriously ugly tyres.

A couple of months ago pace picked back up on the renovation so the bike was stripped and off the frame went for fresh powdercoat. The bike came with the STX Group Set back in the day but I wanted to give it a few choice upgrades so while it's not exactly "period" to the year it's now carrying parts that you could argue would be within the upgrade path of a few years ownership.

Current spec now is:
17" 1994 Orange Clockwork
Forks: Pace RC36 Evo bought for £80 and serviced by Tim at Fork English and the F7's which are original to the bike
Wheels: Mavic 230 TIB's - Original to the bike
Rear Hub: Shimano XT FH-M737
Front Hub: Pace RC-50XC
Tyres: Panaracer Smoke/Dart
Headset: Shimano XT HP-M740
Stem: Orange SK8 - Original to Bike
Bars: Orange HotRod - Original to Bike
Seatpost: Orange Stick - Original to Bike
Seat: Some random thing I bought about 20 years ago when the original died. Stupidly sold one about ayear ago that had the screaming Orange logo embroided on it. I make myself feel better by reminding myself that the leather did have a few rips in it.
Shifters/Brakes/Front/Rear Mechs/Crank: Shimano XT M739

Would love a better condition set of HotRods but they are the originals so it's nice to keep them.

Maybe not exactly one fror the purists, but It's how I wanted the the bike to be at the time but couldn't afford. Just waiting for cables and a few small items to finish off and the last thing to go on will be the new decals I have from Gil_M

Thanks everyone
Si90

Attachments

• After3.jpg
    After3.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 398
  • After9.jpg
    After9.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 398
  • After11.jpg
    After11.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 398
  • After8.jpg
    After8.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 398
  • Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 398
Loving that.... ditto re the clean look. Forks look very well.
Looking forward to seeing new decals on it...

Hi All

Finally got the Clockwork all finished up today - hasn't taken long to finish it off as I'd already collected all the parts.

First impressions after a quick ride round. The extra lenght of the Pace forks over the standard F7's has made the riding position a little more relaxed. Not made my mind up about handling compared to the rigid set up and the noise of the forks working isn't something I am used to. They feel quite nice given their age - it's never going to get the abuse around the Peak District it use to get so not too bothered about their ultimate performance. The V brakes are a big improvement but rattle a little over the rough stuff - which I expected from reading up on them.

Also dug out my helmet from back in the day, my beautiful Troy Lee Designs Edge TL Comp in Black and Orange - sweat. It's actually the second one I've owned after the first one came off a bit worse for wear in an argument with a metal post - but at least it did it's job.

Attachments

• Done3.jpg
    Done3.jpg
    885.1 KB · Views: 259
  • Done2.jpg
    Done2.jpg
    862.6 KB · Views: 259
  • Done1.jpg
    Done1.jpg
    803.2 KB · Views: 259
Sweet Like new bike day all over again. I shimmed my XT V brakes with coke tin washers which helped with the rattle a bit.

Back