1994 (1992?) Axis Pro Build v1.0 Complete!

kjarrett

Retro Guru
Hi everyone,

Thanks again for all the support here. I've successfully moved all the XT/LX components from my '93 Response Elite over to the '94 (?) Axis Pro frame. Literally couldn't have done it without you. It rides beautifully and the difference in frame size (from 16" to 18") is EXACTLY what I was hoping for. I knew the Response Elite was too small when I saw it for $150 on Craigslist but it was in such incredible condition I knew I had to have it. Rode it happily for 6 months and tried to convince myself the frame size was would work long term but eventually it became obvious change was needed. When I saw the Axis Pro frame I knew I'd found the answer, well worth the $150 it cost. (I have since sold my Response Elite frame on eBay for $100 plus shipping.) Anyway, the bike is finally sorted, and it's an absolute blast to ride. I'm already feeling more confident; it took significant concentration to avoid going OTB on the Response Elite at times (descending in particular) and I never rode any features, cleared logs, etc. - that's about to change.

I'm titling this post as a "1.0" because my plan is to ride the hell out of the bike until this winter, shop for the bits I need to make this thing full XT ... then tear it down, have the frame powder coated Gloss Black, and apply a decal set I got on eBay and rebuild it (that's a post for another thread.) It'll still be a rider (not a museum piece) it'll just look better. :) I'll also be doing tan wall Panaracers, because, well ... it's just the right thing to do.

The full spec of the bike right now is:

Frame size: 18”
Frame material: True Temper TT-Lite Cr-Mo steel
Forks: Marzocchi XC-51
Pedals: M520 (almost had a set of M737s...)
Front derailleur: LX
Rear derailleur: XT
Brake levers: LX
Gear levers: LX
Cables & Housing: Jagwire Mountain Pro
Bottom Bracket: NOS UN51
Cranks: LX, 24/36/46
Cassette: HG90 7 Speed, 12-28
Chain: HG40
Brakes: LX w/Sunlite Competition Pads
Wheels: Araya RM-20 36h w/Deore Hubs (second set: Araya RM-17 32h w/LX hubs, original to the Response Elite)
Hub Skewers: LX
Tyres: NOS Panaracer Smoke Compe Light 1.9" (rear), NOS Panaracer Dart HC 2.1" (front)
Seat: Vetta Mountain 201
Seat post: Kalloy 27.0
Seat post binder: Generic alloy
Headset: Tioga Avenger RX Oversize
Stem: Zoom Competition
Handlebars: Zoom 130 Flat
Grips: Oury
Weight: 27 lbs / 12.3 kg

Thanks again, all!

-kj-

Attachments

• Response 1280.jpg
    Response 1280.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 565
  • Axis 1280.jpg
    Axis 1280.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 566
Looks great I would 100% keep the paint original! Looks in really good condition?

CTK":21g2ljd0 said:
Looks great I would 100% keep the paint original! Looks in really good condition?

Thanks, yes, the paint is in very good condition overall, especially for its age. The chainstay has a moderate amount of superficial damage (scarred through to exposed metal). The decals have the typical damage (the stories this bike could tell...) Otherwise, it's got some nicks and cuts here and there but is still glossy.

I'm in the process of getting the XT bits I need to make it complete and I could certainly do the v2.0 build without powder coating the frame. The decal set I got from an eBay seller is close but not exact (wrong font, color accents, no 'TT Lite' or 'Snake Stays' decals); so I'll have to decide whether to use them or not.

-kj-

Attachments

• 50245212032_1b4666fe3b_c.jpg
    50245212032_1b4666fe3b_c.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 465
Re:

Good job, nice result :cool:

Zoom Comp stem and 130 bars is a nice combo (and fairly rare in terms of the bars) :)

Re: Re:

Once A Hero":2l9a0bgt said:
Good job, nice result :cool:

Zoom Comp stem and 130 bars is a nice combo (and fairly rare in terms of the bars) :)

Much appreciated, those parts came from my Response Elite and I don't see any need to upgrade/change them out!

Pic below is from the '92 Diamond Back catalog, and it's a Pro (XTR) spec, but when I'm done I'll have nearly a full XT kit (except the headset, I suspect it will be difficult to fit due to the different stack height of the Tioga Avenger RX). Having so much fun building AND riding this old thing!

-kj-

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-08-21 085223.png
    Annotation 2020-08-21 085223.png
    458.3 KB · Views: 427
Back