1993 Saracen Traverse Elite

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
1993 Saracen Traverse Elite

93-Traverse-Elite-01.jpg

This bike has been a long time coming. Too long really, considering I've had practically all the parts collected and ready for several months.

The 1993 Traverse was originally offered with a the 'new' M560 Deore LX groupset, which introduced low profile cranks, Rapidfire Plus combined shift and brake levers, M-System brakes and a black painted finish.
This was however the one and only year that 'black LX' still had 110 BCD chainrings with 'Compact Drive' introduced a year later.
I've always wanted to build a 1993 black LX bike and when I got hold of this frame, I knew it would be perfect for the project.

The Traverse Elite variant included suspension forks instead of rigid. However I wasn't happy to find the poor quality Tange based but Saracen branded forks for this bike.
Instead I looked further up the range to the Kili XTR Elite, which came with the same 'Flamboyant Ultra Violet' powder coated frame but with Pace RC-35 forks; a much better option.

So I was lucky enough to get a freshly refurbished fork from bhill22, and the frame came from Spencer13 via LGF. The LX components have been gathered together over a period of about five years, and I got my hands on some very nice Ritchey Z-Max tyres too.

More details on the spec along with some pictures.

93-Traverse-Elite-02.jpg

93-Traverse-Elite-03.jpg

One piece combined bar and stem made by Kalloy. Ritchey Trugrips and onZa bar ends and headset.

93-Traverse-Elite-04.jpg

Seven speed Shimano M560 Deore LX STI brake and shift levers.

93-Traverse-Elite-05.jpg

Pace RC-35 'Atmosphere Balanced' forks, with rear mounted M560 Deore LX brakes.

93-Traverse-Elite-06.jpg
93-Traverse-Elite-07.jpg

Shimano M560/M561 Deore LX front and rear mechs along with the M560 chainset with original chainrings and chainring bolts. M737 pedals fitted.

93-Traverse-Elite-08.jpg

Selle Italia Flite Trans Alpes.

93-Traverse-Elite-09.jpg

Mavic M231 rims.

93-Traverse-Elite-10.jpg

Ritchey Megabite Z-Max tires.

93-Traverse-Elite-11.jpg

Ritchey Megabite Z-Max tires. Pretty good condition...

93-Traverse-Elite-cat.jpg

1993 Saracen catalogue page.

93-Kili-XTR-Elite-cat.jpg

1993 Saracen Kili XTR and Kili XTR Elite.

Just finished building this up today. Test ride so far has been a few laps of my workshop. Hopefully it will get a proper test ride soon.

Re:

One of my favourite colour schemes saracen had. Great in the flesh although your pictures do it justice.

Black lx is a great match. Forks top it off.

What a build!

Re:

Lovely build Paul, I still have the original and beautiful rigid forks for mine but its currently wearing mag21s

I love the 1993 LX groupset, my favourite groupset! Thats why I restored my Kirk to it original groupset. Its also why i dont want to part with my scruffy 1993 GT Karakoram (also because it was a journey both my Dad and I went on to remove its stuck seatpost). And finally why I've biult a 1993 Zaskar with a '93 LX groupset.

Re:

Lovely build you've done there Paul, really nice attention to detail.

There's actually one more retro biker on the previous owners list, before the big cheese, I'd never have recognised it if it weren't for the X-Lite stickers.

I only moved this on because it's just too big for me, would love another in Weeman size.

Back