1993? Ridgeback 602GS

TMW

Retro Newbie
Hi guys,

So, this is what I've (hopefully) saved. It's a Ridgeback 602GS, I'm not too sure on the year, but I'm guessing early 90's. It's got a Shimano Altus C50 gearset, along with the brakes.

Here's the bike how I found it (look at that chain!):
Covered in some green mossy stuff, frozen chain, rusty bolts etc. Looked to be still very original. One of the things attracting me to this bike was the flat chrome handlebars.
nJ4I2Yj.jpg

First things first, taking those rank reflectors off.
ROhJR0F.jpg

The chain was junk, and it had sum-how bundled up on the rear cogs - only one thing for that! Sawed it right off.
nLVmVt3.jpg

Did the usual surface rust removal tricks like vinegar and tin foil.
sO4YnRV.jpg

MD5LbWo.jpg

Cleaned it up today and scrubbed the handlebars. Lots of the chrome parts are quite shiny now, especially that front derailer.
pgQXfjZ.jpg

mxYmP.jpg

It also still had the original, but perished, Cheng Shin Tires. Innertubes were still good too.
Also, one question, how on earth do you get the brake levers off? There's no screw or anything to undo them, just a strap around the handlebars.

Never seen them but they might be like roadie levers. Pull the lever back as if applying the brake and look inside the body for a bolt head.

firedfromthecircus":26ce4b1z said:
Never seen them but they might be like roadie levers. Pull the lever back as if applying the brake and look inside the body for a bolt head.

Yep, just like you said. Disconnected the brake, pulled the lever back and it revealed a screw. Got em off now! Thanks!

velozenbit_katalog_cat_658750_658750_1_jpg-3000-2451.jpg

This is looking interesting and my betting is those levers are a cheap branded affair but i bet with a little tlc their a lot better to use than you would expect just like the cheapo's i've got on my Rockrider as for those inner tubes i'd not trust them to last as rubber has a habbit of hiding it's flaws until it's put under pressure so be careful mate ;) ..

Muddy paw":1smf2aoh said:
This is looking interesting and my betting is those levers are a cheap branded affair but i bet with a little tlc their a lot better to use than you would expect just like the cheapo's i've got on my Rockrider as for those inner tubes i'd not trust them to last as rubber has a habbit of hiding it's flaws until it's put under pressure so be careful mate ;) ..

Yeah the inner tubes will get replaced soon.. got to get a chain on it first ;)

Chains are one of the cheapest parts these days so at least that won't break the bank eh! .

So are you sticking with the shifters that originally came with the bike mate or you going for something of a better quallity ..

Re:

I'll most likely be keeping the shifters, I've never used these kind of thumb shifters before as my other bike has the rapid fire kind. I'm also gonna try and spend the least amount of money on this thing. I should just be getting a chain and new grips, more upgrades will probably come in the future though :)

Okay mate i thought the shifters looked as though they might be a bit passed it going off looks in the pic and i've got a pair of pedals that i'm never going to use that might just need a bit of a service so if you like i can check them over and if their okay i'll let you have them if you pay the cost of postage mate .

Hi guys,

So, this is what I've (hopefully) saved. It's a Ridgeback 602GS, I'm not too sure on the year, but I'm guessing early 90's. It's got a Shimano Altus C50 gearset, along with the brakes.

Here's the bike how I found it (look at that chain!):
Covered in some green mossy stuff, frozen chain, rusty bolts etc. Looked to be still very original. One of the things attracting me to this bike was the flat chrome handlebars.
nJ4I2Yj.jpg

First things first, taking those rank reflectors off.
ROhJR0F.jpg

The chain was junk, and it had sum-how bundled up on the rear cogs - only one thing for that! Sawed it right off.
nLVmVt3.jpg

Did the usual surface rust removal tricks like vinegar and tin foil.
sO4YnRV.jpg

MD5LbWo.jpg

Cleaned it up today and scrubbed the handlebars. Lots of the chrome parts are quite shiny now, especially that front derailer.
pgQXfjZ.jpg

mxYmP.jpg

It also still had the original, but perished, Cheng Shin Tires. Innertubes were still good too.
Also, one question, how on earth do you get the brake levers off? There's no screw or anything to undo them, just a strap around the handlebars.
Hi, just stripped, and complete service on a ridgeback 602 gs... oh what fun !
Going back to your brake levers, loosen, or wen removed (brake cable), pull the lever fully, you can see inside, there is a hex bolt with a Philip's head, I used my Philip's screwdriver to loosen 👍

Latest posts

Back