Barends: N/A

Brakes: Avid Tri-Align
Brake Pads: Aztec
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Avid Tri-Dangle
Brake Levers: Avid Speed Dial Ultimate

Shifters: Suntour XC Expert 8 speed thumbies, polished brackets
Front Derailleur: XTR M900, blue alu bolts
Rear Derailleur: XTR M910, blue alu bolts and cable adjuster, silver alloy pulleys
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: XTR CS-M900 12-32t
Chain: Shimano HG-71
Cranks: Middleburn RS7, 175mm, 110 bcd
Crank Bolts: Middleburn Ti
Chainrings: XTR M900 SG-X, 46/36/26t
Chainring bolts: Middleburn Alu
Bottom Bracket: Royce Titanium 68x107mm
Pedals: Onza H.O. Ti

Hub Skewers: Halo Allen bolt
Rims: Campagnolo Atek 32h
Hubs: Hope Ti-glide rear, Suspension front
Nipples: Sapim Polyax alu
Spokes: DT Revolution
Tyres: Continental Traction Pro 2.1" folding
Tubes: Maxxis Flyweight

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Titanium
Seatpost: USE aluminium, Ti clamp bolts
Seatpost Binder: X-lite Ti allen bolt

Weight: 22lb 10oz / 10.25kg

_20211024_223703.JPG

Last edited:
I decided to fit some thumbies to this, the X-rays work fine, I just prefer thumbshifters, spent ages polishing the brackets, then stripped the bastard thread in the right one on fitting! 😕 I'll helicoil it at some point and it'll be fine, but at that moment I got the hump and it lead to rebuilding the bike to go with the non polished pair instead 😂 _20211210_113838.JPG _20211210_111249.JPG

Last edited:
Easy place to lose weight is dumpling clipless pedals for suntour xc platforms. I don´t know the numbers but just holding one against the other is a revelation.

Bugger 😔. Hopefully you can helicoil that thumbie ok.
Sub-20lbs is impressive! But it looks like you've changed the spec since then?

@Prodigal Son yes pedals can be surprisingly hefty, there's a little under ½lb difference between m525 spds (505g) and the titanium Onzas (295g) that were on this. DX m636 are around 650g!
@jimo746 I'm sure I can save the thumbies thankfully. Yes, I was quite surprised by how light I got this and I reckon it could break the 19lb mark with a bit more cash thrown at it. Yes it's now wearing a mix of LX and XT with Suntour thumbies, mainly because it was laying about, I was bored and I want the lightweight stuff for something else that I haven't got yet!

The frame number on this is A2097132, which means it's just turned 30 😁
Having done the lightweight thing and then not using it much, 1.5" tyres that need 45-50psi to not pinch flat aren't very comfy or nice to ride to be honest.
I then rebuilt it with the lesser spec stuff above to use the lightweight kit on something that ended up falling through.
So to honour its 30th and because this is one I shall never sell, I decided it deserved a(nother 😂) makeover.
First up was sorting the thumbies out, thankfully helicoils saved the day there so on they went.
King headset back on, I only took it off because the Tange was 25g lighter.
Mag 21 fitted, this is a 95 fork with the black brace from a 93, boots removed and wiper seals fitted.
Drivetrain replaced with M900: rings, mechs, cassette and a new HG-71 chain.
Some minty Middleburn arms to replace the scraped and rubbed ones.
It's had Avid levers for a while, so decided to track down some Tri-aligns to match. This has been a pain in the arse! I'm still awaiting the front brake from @pw_pw_la but hopefully that'll be here soon (3 weeks and counting since Phil posted them! Rubbish excuses from Royal Mail, still, fingers crossed they'll be here soon).
Finally, tyres, I really liked the brown walls of the Conti's on this, so have fitted some NOS Traction Pros in 2.1" flavour. Should be nicer to ride at a sensible pressure.
DSC_0585.JPG DSC_0586.JPG DSC_0587.JPG DSC_0588.JPG DSC_0589.JPG DSC_0590.JPG _20221001_154017.JPG

Hope she gets ridden again, but that weight weenie build was a cool exercise. I can't right now imagine getting a place to build my Clockwork up. I really wanted to do a period spec with Orange/ UK parts but realized later how expensive it would be to piece it together with all of the overseas shipping. I have to just let that go and get it rolling with other stuff. Need to find a good powdercoater in LA for starters ...

@br0qn It'll definitely get ridden, once the brake finally turns up. The lightweight thing was a fun project, I was surprised by just how light it ended up, although a big chunk of that was the tyres, that I just wasn't a big fan of. Haven't weighed it like this yet but it should still be sub 23lbs so still not heavy.
I get you on your Clockwork, we have the same problem with the US stuff over here, it can definitely hurt the wallet. I'm sure it'll end up as a nice bike whichever direction you end up taking.

Back