1993 CANNONDALE R800 road bike Track bike hommage build thread

fguki

Senior Retro Guru
Hi folks!

I am starting a new build series post here. So, every one of us know about the legendary #CannondaleTrack bikes of the early-mid 90s. Of course! Like so many of us, I absolutely adore the design of this very iconic bike! However though, I really dont care at all about track bikes, single speeds or fixed gears in general. I always wanted this track design but in a regular mech road bike.

This February 1993 R800 (2.8 Series with 1 1/4" inches Sub 1 fork) will be my basis. Dark green / British racing green metallic powdercoating with gold / black outlined decals by VeloCals USA.

Heres the aluminium scrap pile of metal I bought :)

1993 Cannondale R800 road bike track bike hommage restoration project image picture example b...jpeg

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-09 um 12.46.30.png

Here is the role model and my template bike for this build!

15127226208_8060132d9c_b.jpg

Last edited:
Day 1: I stripped all the spots that needed further investigation and did some careful repair work on a slight chainsuck in the BB area and then smoothed the welding.

And before some of you might burp :) No, the tubing has not been harmed or weakened by the repair work.

1993 Cannondale R800 road bike track bike hommage restoration project image picture example b...jpeg

Attachments

• 1993 Cannondale R800 road bike track bike hommage restoration project image picture example b...jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 1993 Cannondale R800 road bike track bike hommage restoration project image picture example b...jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 5
    163.8 KB · Views: 2
Great project. I look forward to following this

Oh, I forgot the decals! Great Service here by VeloCals (USA). Theyll be just fine! I bought two sets, because I am basically building this bike 2 times - for my brother as well!

The (test) fork returned from powdercoating! That took quite long and we all were unsure about the color options there but it turned out absolutely great! Quite hard to photograph but this absolutely matches my template picture shown in post #1!

Stunning combination with the gold! I already love it! Immediately boxed the 2 frames and the 1 fork and sent it out to full powdercoating all parts now. 😍

Preview:

Problem solved! Unfortunately, when I dismantled the bike I saw that the cable boss spacer rings were damaged. So, I had them re-produced! If you also need a pair (or a single pcs) of these, PM me!

I love it, when a plan comes togehter ;-)

1993 Cannondale R800 road bike track bike hommage restoration project by Falko Schloetel 022.jpg

1993 Cannondale R800 road bike track bike hommage restoration project by Falko Schloetel 023.jpg

Great project, love the concept. The paint is looking fantastic! Did you have these rings 3D printed? Presume its the black parts you are talking about.

Finally! The 2 frame sets (for me and my younger brother) have returned from powdercoating! Great color! They call it Royalgreen metallic. Played around a little bit with them already. Put Aluminium screws in them and checked out my polished Rigida DP 18 wheel set and the Cinelli 1R stem and NOS Cinelli Criterium bars. This will be a fun build! Stay tuned!

1993 Cannondale R800 road bike track bike hommage restoration project by Falko Schloetel 024.jpeg

1993 Cannondale R800 road bike track bike hommage restoration project by Falko Schloetel 025.jpeg

1993 Cannondale R800 road bike track bike hommage restoration project by Falko Schloetel 026.jpeg

1993 Cannondale R800 road bike track bike hommage restoration project by Falko Schloetel 027.jpeg

1993 Cannondale R800 road bike track bike hommage restoration project by Falko Schloetel 028.jpeg

1993 Cannondale R800 road bike track bike hommage restoration project by Falko Schloetel 029.jpeg

1993 Cannondale R800 road bike track bike hommage restoration project by Falko Schloetel 030.jpeg

Back