mk one

Old School GrandMaster
Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
A thread for my, im sure, slow burning steel Vertex build.

A few years ago now i came across this Rocky Mountain frame for sale, it was cheap and needed some tlc. I was not sure on the decals at the time as it had Vertex ones fitted. I bought it though due to the size and also partly due to the cost. After which, i did a bit of research and found to my suprise, and delight, it was indeed a Vertex, the first year model, and for some reason made in steel. I like steel bikes, so it was great by me. The Vertex to me though was a memory of an aluminum dream race bike i lusted after back in the day. I really like Rocky Mountain bikes and the fact it was only made for the one year, and also a quality steel frame, made it more interesting to me.

So, i have decided to build it up as is for now, i have a few parts suitable for the build already, and i will ride it and decide whether it will be a keeper. If i decide to add it to the collection it will be added to the top of the short restoration list i have. I currently have one other build i am starting soon which will be, for now at least, the last of my build as is projects. After which i have a few frames, maybe this one also, that i will restore, new paint etc, something i havent done to date and am looking forward to, gladly there are plenty of great references on here for the work.

Anyway, here are a few pics of the frame for now...

Attachments

• P1012734.JPG
    P1012734.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 618
  • P1012722.JPG
    P1012722.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 617
  • P1012712.JPG
    P1012712.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 618
  • P1012731.JPG
    P1012731.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 618

raidan73

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Cool project Mark. Do you have the matching Tange fork?

mk one

Old School GrandMaster
Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
raidan73":7o4vzceu said:
Cool project Mark. Do you have the matching Tange fork?

Thanks Adrian.

I have a couple of forks to choose from, neither unfortunately are the original RM fork, though im quite happy with the ones i have.

raidan73

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Plenty of option me that would suit, imo. Switchblade, Powerlite or a RS Mag for starters

mk one

Old School GrandMaster
Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I do actually have a Switchblade, not sure if i actually bought them off you many years ago. The straight legs though just dont seem to suit these frames imo, so my choices are both curved.

mk one

Old School GrandMaster
Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
A couple of the fork options.

As above i have a couple of other rigid options but for some reason the straight legs on them don't seem to look right, in my eyes at least. The same really with a couple of the suspension options i have, so for now these two are the main candidates.

Personally i prefer the Big Fork but the steerer may be too short, which will be a shame but i will have to wait and see. Having said that, the Ritchey fork is more in keeping with the original RM fork.

Attachments

• P1012737.JPG
    P1012737.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 522

raidan73

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
A Logic fork was my other thought so that gets my vote. Seems to suit the lightweight, responsive look of the bike

mk one

Old School GrandMaster
Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
The Ritchey fork was my first choice originally, but i am desperate to use the Big One on something :)

Here are a couple of pics of the frame with forks, forget about colours as they will be getting re-sprayed eventually.

Attachments

• P1012757.JPG
    P1012757.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 429
  • P1012754.JPG
    P1012754.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 429