1992 Raleigh Ravine.

Crusader

Devout Dirtbag
1992 Raleigh Ravine. 19".

I know there is little to no love for Raleighs like this - I have even surprised myself with my devotion to the cause with this model, as well as the Apex and the Peak in the same series.

Reynolds K2 seamless doubled butt-ribbed top tube, full length ribbed down tube and single butt-ribbed seat tube.

Not sure why this had an old style 3 piece axle set. The long axle on the 92 series is a bit of a problem re chain line and although I was tempted to swap it for a shorter modern jobbie, in the end I found my long-stored Stronglight Biostrong eliptical chainset gave an near ideal chainline, so I thought I'd give it a go. As an SPD pedal user, I like Biopace and its offspring, especially Shimano's Biopace HP. The original 400LX chainset had rusty steel rings which had to go, but the black cranks look very good with substitute silver chain rings to be fair.

I felt it deserved some DX derailleurs although the undamaged 400LX originals are nice items. The junk M200 black coated steel cantilevers are a low point on this model and were replaced with DX cantilevers.

The factory fitted cassette was a red label grade better than it should have been which was welcome.

The LH shifter was gummed up so I stripped it and got the pawls working again.

The bike was fully stripped in order to properly remove 28 years of accumulated grease and dirt cake.

The 'Ravine' decal has been wrapped with self adhesive polycarbonate film to protect it.

The cheap factory fitted tyres are still good!

The stem is off a 21" Peak model and the Raleigh RSP 6061 riser bars were fitted to give a little extra height.

I love the colour which is a pearl, but since the 1992 brochure mentions a 'Ridge' model, which must have been ditched? to become the 'Ravine' model, I can't put a name to it. It was particular to this year only.

The bikes from this series seem quite rare - I don't think sales of them were that strong back then. A good try from Raleigh though in my view.

Attachments

• Ravine 4.jpg
    Ravine 4.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 729
  • IMG_20200406_174550.jpg
    IMG_20200406_174550.jpg
    449.5 KB · Views: 716
  • Ravine 6.jpg
    Ravine 6.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 709
  • Ravine 3.jpg
    Ravine 3.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 721
  • Ravine 5.jpg
    Ravine 5.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 728
Re:

Very nice...

I agree about these bikes. Very underrated in my opinion. I had a mint Raleigh Peak in the salmon pink colour which was one of the favourite retro bikes I’ve owned (My thread is on here).

A bit heavy but very dependable.

I used mine to carry my first son about on down local trails.

A job well done with this buddy.

I’ve been impressed with Raleighs from this era. The frames feel lively and comfortable. It might not be a racer, but my Peak is looking like it may become my favourite “do anything” bike.

A few years ago I rebuilt a slightly older Yukon which was also a brilliant ride, and similar in feel. I think there’s as much in the geometry, the lugged construction, and the craftsmanship as there is in the K2 tubing - the Yukon was built from 501 but otherwise similar.

My Peak also has the original CST front tyre which is holding up well. I quite like the tread pattern. :)

Re:

Prezza - yes, seen your to thread, so nice to see a minter like that. My recently finished Peak isn't in that league frame wise, but I'm certainly a fan of the colour and the way it rides. Ta for the comments.

Bluetomgold - I like the geometry too and the tall head tube on the 21" versions - quite a big jump in height from the 19".

Re:

Lovely looking Raleigh there!

I get the feeling that these were a really well sorted range of bikes and a fair bit of work went into the geometry and handling. I still remember the press ads for these.

On reflection I can't say I've seen very many, so I guess that they didn't sell brilliantly which is a shame. Sadly the fashion was for overseas brands such as Kona and Marin, at least where I was living at the time. I think that Raleigh's own Dyna Tech range also overshadowed these somewhat.

From memory the tyres were Cheng Shin? They were far from bad though, in fact I think they were considered okay BITD. The factory also manufactured tyres for other brands including Ritchey (I think).

Hope you continue to have fun with it :cool:

I like them Ravine's, great bike and nice colour.

Shame the Raleigh name is still not handbuilt in Great Britain.
Name bought by Chinese I think.

I had a Yukon for about 6 months until someone broke in and stole it.

1992 and 1993 were good years for Raleigh.

I an a massive fan of the Off Road Series, and have a Peak & Ravine, that I'm currently refreshing.

Still on the ;lookout for a Summit and Apex though!

Back