1992 Eldridge grade questions

xtaffa

Gary Fisher Fan
Got a 92 Eldridge, built up cheap with spare bits as a 1x8 commuter/run around whilst on a project in Wales, currently parked at my mam's over that way.

Thinking next time I go down will build it up 3x and bring it back. Few questions, mainly due to my complete blank ignorance re. chainline etc;

1) One for the Marin afficianados: what's the seat tube o:d / fd size n this frame?
2) have a 34.9 m739 fd that could go on with a m569 chain set; if I get a shim to fit that fd to that noodly seat tube and use correct BB spindle width for chain set, will this all work?

3) Alternatively, I think current BB is 122mm, m569 is in the 107-110 range; will current BB be useable with said fd (within very low user standards!)?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Fd should be 28.6, so your going to have to do quite a big shim as your jumping 2 sizes to 34.9.

Original bb should be 122mm for older era kit. Im pretty sure m567 needs 110 for 47.5 chainline, so on 122mm your chain line will be out by 6mm.

Thats not ideal and the fd may stuggle getting that far.

Last edited:
Fd should be 26.8, so your going to have to do quite a big shim as your jumping 2 sizes to 34.9.

Original bb should be 122mm for older era kit. Im pretty sure m567 needs 110 for 47.5 chainline, so on 122mm your chain line will be out by 6mm.

Thats not ideal and the fd may stuggle getting that far.
Cheers mate!

Might stick a wanted post out for a 26.8 fd then. BB's no problem, just be nice to dodge some fettling, but even I can see that chainline would be a beast!

Aye, it wont break the bank to hold for a 500LX, LX550 etc..
Also, any 3, 4, 500LX, LX550, will do. It's only the finish (polished)that separates the arms. Good rings are obtainable via stronglight, TA etc..

Back