1992 Diamond Back Ascent EX time warp....

prezza

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Picked this up locally from a lovely old chap in his 70’s who has owned it from new. Fair to say it’s hung in his garage for almost all of its life and he confessed In front of his wife that it’s almost never turned a wheel!

It’s 17 inch and no dents or major marks.

Totally standard with full Deore LX groupset inc original wheels, tyres etc....

Look at those tyres! They still have the little nobbles on!

Early check over seems to show it simply requires a good t cut and polish. The odd small mark touched in with black nail varnish. New cables. New rear wheel bearings (grumbling probably due to perished grease) and BB needs adjusting.
I’ll stick some new grips and pads on but that’s about it...

Only problem is, my collection is getting too big and I will be having a cull, however this I feel is crying out to be brought back to like new again....

Attachments

• 8715D3F5-0BCD-4992-AD65-0E651F2B3AA8.jpeg
    8715D3F5-0BCD-4992-AD65-0E651F2B3AA8.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 1,893
  • 4EE7DBE4-38DD-4381-AF61-B72D19B67D0E.jpeg
    4EE7DBE4-38DD-4381-AF61-B72D19B67D0E.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 1,884
  • 9D0FC1C5-EEC3-430D-8CB8-4075B130DF96.jpeg
    9D0FC1C5-EEC3-430D-8CB8-4075B130DF96.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 1,904
  • D52E5AE5-BE99-4242-B76C-194D483B7722.jpeg
    D52E5AE5-BE99-4242-B76C-194D483B7722.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 1,906
I do think a black seatpost also is crying out to be fitted to complete the look... maybe a decent Shimano one...

Re:

I picked up a mint one of those probably 10 years ago. :cool: Nice bikes to ride, solid like the zolatone Marins.

I'm sure you know and it'd be a shame to part it out but those tyres go for a fortune now in that condition. Wish I'd kept my ones! :facepalm: :LOL:

Thanks for the comments and inspiration fellas....

This will be restored to like new then I’m afraid I’ll be culling 2 x my 4 x retro bikes as I Really can’t justify having 4 ..... not with my modern whips too....

Never had a DB before but I’m hugely impressed with the look, the ride and the weight of this...

Cheers
Andy

My first MTB was a 1992 DB Sorrento, in red. The Ascent looks a higher spec. I'd keep it as original as possible.

Re:

So this is soon up into the breech!

I’ve already acquired a period DX seatpost. Thinking of some ODI pink grips too....

Should I leave it at there or should I upgrade the mechs to Period XT from my spare parts?????

And the stem and bars??? Was thinking of upgrading to NoS Zoom models which were fitted the next model up....

Re:

Here is mine, the twin of yours. A similar story, owner's wife rode it a couple of times, then it was stored for 25 years. I have the same tires as well, which I recently put on a period RM Hammer.

Attachments

• ascent1.jpg
    ascent1.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,477
Thanks vince....

And by your username I bet you’re a motorbiker like me too!

Yours looks great. Did you not put more pics of it in readers bikes? Is crying out to be posted with lots of pics.

I’ve managed to acquire a NOS Deore DX seatpost for it. That will be going on along with some pink ODI grips a think. Apart from that I’ll keep it stock.

I have some spare period XT front and rear mechs so was toying of upgrading those but don’t see the point when it’s so original.....

So will be a full strip down and rebuild with only the two parts mentioned plus cables, chain (if needed) and possibly a pink bottle cage to compliment it.

That’s the current plan anyway....

You're right, current ride is a vintage '85 GPZ900, so representing the 'Top Gun' contingent LOL. I like your plan regarding the bike, I kept mine completely stock except for robbing the tires for the other project. Mine also has all the Avenir bits such as bar ends, bottle cage and pedal cages.

Back