1991 Formula 1 Cycles full suspension - F1/08/S1 ex Deb Murrell

Re:

That’s fantastic, both the bike and the research work. I love it when significant bikes get the attention they deserve and end in the hands of the right people. I’ve always loved these bikes, Unospeedo knows that whenever one comes up I am always keen but it’s never been the right time, I have been able to handle one or two in the past and they are always incredible machines, and this one just exemplifies it.

Keep up the good work on this Si, love it!

Re:

Fantastic work Simon, I hoped I'd see this thread some day. Was lucky enough to buy this from Nik way back when :shock: but didn't have the time to do anything with it. Still love those milled cranks :cool:

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone.

Half page advert from Racecar Engineering magazine from early 1994. Thanks to Neil Simpson for finding this. DPS Composites, makers of the Formula 1 bikes, demonstrating their achievements across different disciplines. S1 photographed, piloted by Deb in 1993 on a Grundig World Cup run going by her race number. Marzocchi shock just visible. The advert states ‘crossed the line first at the British National Downhill Championships’ - referring to her becoming BMBF National Downhill Champion in 1993

94-D7-FDCD-EA2-A-47-D0-A972-527-F0-F71-FD8-E.jpg

I will put this and future finds in the updated second post

Re:

Deep love for these bikes, 92 was such a great year, and I agree, Retrobike is totally the right forum...pulling up a chair for this one x

Thanks for adding those photos Carl. I’ll use the opportunity to highlight the small difference between the one above, featured in MBUK in 1992 and my one, S1.

EAE02C58-FAE4-450A-BC6E-F01F5DD39EDF.jpeg

The lower swing arm attachment changed - as development progressed I presume. S2 or S3 on the left... with the Formula 1 made rear shock. S1 on the right... but with the Marzocchi rear shock added in 1993.

Thanks for adding those photos Carl. I’ll use the opportunity to highlight the small difference between the one above, featured in MBUK in 1992 and my one, S1.

View attachment 532534

The lower swing arm attachment changed - as development progressed I presume. S2 or S3 on the left... with the Formula 1 made rear shock. S1 on the right... but with the Marzocchi rear shock added in 1993.
My instant thought would have been the other way around, your version looks considerably more progressed, more evolved over time.

I wonder if the Carbon brackets/plates were added to accommodate the later shock too, any idea...? All the small details are fascinating and easily overlooked, until you see the bikes or pics up close.

Back