1990s Simoncini Campagnolo build

Cilva Cycla

Retro Newbie
After lying dormant and partly completed in the shed for several years I have finally added a few more bits to this build and decided that it is now probably as finished as it ever will be.

I acquired the frame several years ago in a used condition and eventually decided to add contemporary Campagnolo ATB components. Some of these I acquired as NOS from Nigel Scott at Campyoldy and some NOS or used from Ebay. I had to have a new longer steerer tube fitted to the front forks which meant I lost some of the original green and purple paintwork but luckily the chrome on the forks survived.

The wheels were built by Pedal Power in Loughborough using NOS Campagnolo rims and hubs which I had acquired from Campyoldy.

I was lucky enough to receive the following information about the frame from “The Placid Casual” on Bike Radar:-

“More info on this bike! Back in the day, I had a bike that used this exact frame. These frames were built early/mid 1989 - that is a definite. They were only ever frames - not a complete bike, so there was never any 'standard' set up. Long time ago, now, but mine definitely had full Shimano shift gear, with 'state of the art' shifters with little windows in them. Shimano cranks, too. Possibly might have had Araya rims, but definitely not 100% sure on that.

Loved this frame at the time, so I can't tell you how great it is to see it again 20+ years later. Any more info I can give you, please ask. (and needless to say, if you want to sell, message me)

Best wishes.”

Main components are:-

Frame: Simoncini Falck nickel plated steel tubing – 47cm seat tube – 51cm top tube

Headset: Campagnolo Centaur - NOS
Stem: Kalloy Short reach forged stem 25.4mm - new
Handlebar: Humpert AHS Basic Sport with comfort bar ends - new

Brakes: Campagnolo Record OR – used
Brake Pads: Campagnolo
Cantilever cable hangers: Campagnolo - NOS
Brake Levers: Campagnolo Euclid - NOS

Shifters: Campagnolo Euclid - NOS
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Olympus - NOS
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Centaur - NOS
Freewheel: Sachs Maillard Aris LY95 7 Speed 13/15/17/20/23/26/30 - NOS
Cranks: Campagnolo Centaur - NOS
Chainrings: Campagnolo Centaur triple 24-36-46 - NOS
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo Centaur - NOS
Pedals: Campagnolo Centaur SM - NOS

Hub Skewers: Campagnolo Centaur NOS
Rims: Campagnolo Mirox 36h - NOS
Hubs: Campagnolo Centaur - NOS
Tyres: Schwalbe Marathon Original 26 x 1.25

Saddle: Varies depending on the ride – shown with Selle SMP Big Bum
Seatpost: Generic seatpost to suit saddle

Weight: 28kg

I will hopefully use this bike for leisure/commuting including light off road stuff, unpaved bike tracks etc where my road bike won’t go,

Ideally I would like some of the Euclid resin toeclips with the original fixing hardware but these are very difficult to find now and I guess they become brittle with age so probably don’t survive long in use.

As usual following completion of a build I have a number of unused components including headsets, rear derailleur, cantilever brakes, U brakes, seat posts, freewheel and once I have had chance to photograph and list these I will put them on the forum.

Will add more photos of this build in a separate post.
01 Bike - Front.jpg 02 Bike - Side.jpg 03 Bike - Rear.jpg 04 Head Tube.jpg 05 Forks and Front brakes.jpg 06 Handlebars and levers.jpg 07 Hubs.jpg 08 Rims.jpg 09 Rims.jpg 10 Decals.jpg

Back