1990 RM Cirrus Project

zeecurley

Dirt Disciple
Appreciated clicking through Cirrus rebuilds and clean ups and pumped to be doing a little novice Cirrus update of my own - so starting my own thread. But early warning, it will be low tech and a disappointment. Not going for a full restore - just getting it working and awesome - and plan to ride it a lot. But would love to hear you pros weigh in with thoughts. Anyway, this XL 1990 frame was leaning against a tree in Canmore in 2016 and now, via Brantford and maybe other places, it has ended up with me.

Attachments

• image_6483441.JPG
    image_6483441.JPG
    493.5 KB · Views: 7
It was advertised with a crack in 2016, and decals show some decent use. But someone has done some work and I can't see any sign of the crack now - hopefully well fixed. If not, will deal with that upon failure, and go a little easy.

Attachments

• image_6483441-2.JPG
    image_6483441-2.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 12
By the time I got it, it had a Synchros stem and post, Raceface cranks, and XT components sourced and installed (thanks Tim!). Some beauty red wheels, levers and brakes. Marin Lite tires. Needs cables, chain and a little body work. And what to do about that fork... ?

Attachments

• image_50403841.JPG
    image_50403841.JPG
    778 KB · Views: 26
I recently finished a ghetto build on one of these which was a complete basket case, with the ubiquitous cracked seat tube. They are great frames with very beefy welds. Looks like you got a half decent one in a proper frame size.

Thanks guys! Just saw a Powerlite fork on FB last night but sold immediately... next time. In the meantime, pedals, fresh rubber and new decals on the way.

Fully functional now... tuned up with new cables and chain. Took the old decals off with WD40 and a hair dryer. Tried some Mother's polish but too shiny vs the original finish, so went over it with a brillo pad. Needs a little more fine tuning ahead of decals which are expected next week. So fun to ride with narrow bars and no suspension - have to brace for even little drop offs. And super responsive vs a 29er. Ended this ride early with a flat but still good times.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
I recently finished a ghetto build on one of these which was a complete basket case, with the ubiquitous cracked seat tube. They are great frames with very beefy welds. Looks like you got a half decent one in a proper frame size.
Any pics of your ghetto Cirrus posted?

Back