1990 Raleigh Dyna Tech Cronos Titanium (54)

Re:

Oh yeah!
I’ve been so obsessed with polishing them, that I’ve completely missed that. Thanks for the pointer.

With great excitement, I finally completed the bike this morning. It seems silly, but I was only really waiting on an 8 speed KMC quick link for the chain as it came without one. As soon as I’d connected the chain I almost took it out as it was, but the better half of me gave the bike its final once over, tightening every bolt to ensure it was really ready (glad I did as a few of them were still loose).
For me, this has been a 28 year long wait, and today I’d finally ride the bike I dreamt of as an 18 year old student. I’d heard that the early Dyna Tech frames were better, and they had a slightly different ride from their later versions, but the reality was that I didn’t really have a clue as I’d only ridden the later versions. With trepidation I got changed and strolled the bike to the front of the driveway, threw a leg over, and quickly got it up to some speed. It’s smooth, really smooth! The bike feels very much like some of the top end Italian steel, but lighter. High end steel usually lends itself to being a good balance of stiffness and compliance, which this was very similar. Obviously, the 753 front and rear ends help translate this quality to the rider. Whereas most of the Italian bikes are flamboyant in their chromework, paint and components, this is quite understated, industrial, and low key (despite the amount of polishing I’ve done). It felt very responsive on the road, whether I was pushing the biggest gears on the flat, or out of the saddle on punchy little climbs - it just did what I asked, and did it with ease. The Dura Ace components feel about 10 years ahead of Campagnolo, with very precise shifting, and a keen eye on weight reduction. After spending my adult life ignoring Japan’s finest groupsets in favour of Italy’s, I have now developed a deep understanding and appreciation of Shimano’s jewel in their crown. An under valued workhorse that will only appreciate in value over the coming years, as others recognise its importance in redefining the standards of performance.

IMG_5497.jpeg

IMG_5528.jpeg

It just occurred to me that I’ve haven’t posted up the frame number. Just in case anyone wanted to question its provenance.

Size 54 built in Nov 1990 by the SBDU team. I realise I’ve pulled the cable out of the guide too! 🤦‍♂️

IMG_5525.jpeg

Time to start planning the next project...

Last edited:
Very nice Ben the Dura ace really does polish up well and I do love a set of NOS rims hope to see this soon.

Thanks gents.

I mentioned earlier that I wasn't happy with the cassette I'd installed, and that I was hunting for something a bit more special, like a nice Titanium one for the job. Well, it didn't take all that long really. I managed to pick up a TNT Titanium cassette with very minimal use. The only thing I don't like about it are the anodised Blue spacers, so I'll butcher up a very dead Dura Ace 7400 cassette and use its Silver spacers instead (after I’ve polished them of course).

IMG_5511.jpeg

IMG_5510.jpeg

Last edited:
It seems a prudent time to update this build thread as it’s long lost brother comes to live with us. There’s a separate build for the new addition, but this still gets the love it deserves.

IMG_4117.jpeg

IMG_4118.jpeg

IMG_4119.jpeg

The new frame is only 10 apart from the old one!

IMG_4121.jpeg

IMG_4122.jpeg

The bike as it looks today…

IMG_4104.jpeg

After building this bike up, the next one on my list was another dream bike of mine from the same era. A good friend of mine took some high quality pictures, and eventually made a video of that bike. He was keen on doing something similar for this bike, given its rarity and story. He took the bike to his and took some photos, but complained the permanent overcast weather wasn’t helping him, so he returned the bike with a view to trying again in the summer. Here’s a couple of photos he he did take though…

retouched_0018090.jpeg

cleaned_0018136.jpeg

_0018126.jpeg

Last edited:
Back