1990 Peugeot Hurricane

nstarmore

Retro Guru
Just completed this one so will be a rather short thread but thought I'd share nonetheless.

I picked this one up as a frame and fork a few months back from these pages and had it delivered from it's original country of origin.

I have no particular personal experience of these, however, when I were a lad whilst being fed a poor supply of low end Raleigh's (such delights as the original Activator and Max Ogre) from my well meaning family I was always lusting after a Peugeot. Owing to my car obsession and believing any bike with a car manufacturers name on had to be awesome :facepalm:

Anyway, that Peugeot never materialised (thankfully, given what I would have ended up with at the budget afforded by my parents), however, since getting into this retro bike lark that itch came back. This time though I wanted something that would be worth the effort of building... and so, the Hurricane, this is the catalogue spec for the Netherlands market:

Peugeot-Hurricane-1990-achet-le-bon-coin-120-euros-le-09-05-2013.png

IMG-20200329-151643.jpg

From what I've seen of other Hurricanes the spec can very slightly (maybe depending on market) and some have 500lx groups or a mix of 400 and 500.

I was going to go for a catalogue build having a full 400LX group going spare and made a start. However, I decided that I didn't want to wait around sourcing original spec parts as I had entered this years Haldon Heroic CX event with my brother-in-law (who would be using his 1990 MF Courier Comp) and this was the bike I was going to do it on.

So, I've gone for a sort of 'loved bike that has been lightly upgraded through use' type of build with slightly more modern parts but not new enough to be restomod.

Anyway enough waffling, this is what I ended up with:

IMG-20200328-162318.jpg

IMG-20200328-162335.jpg

Frame & Fork: 1990 Peugeot Hurricane Tange 531 ATB butted main triangle, Tange Cromoly forks and 1" steerer

Stem: 3ttt roller (take off from a Peugeot Surfer)
Handlebar: Italmanubri 7075
Grips: Ritchey WCS Truegrip Foam

Brakes: Shimano LX M560 Black Canti's
Brake Pads: Discobrakes Yellow Pads
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano Older Type Link Wire 83mm and 73mm
Brake Levers: Shimano LX M560

Shifters: Shimano LX M560
Front Derailleur: Shimano LX M560
Rear Derailleur: Shimano LX M560
Cassette: Shimano HG50 12-28 7 speed
Cranks: Spa Cyles TD-2 black 170mm with Shimano LX M560 46-36-26 rings
Chain: SRAM 830
Pedals: Wellgo

Hub Skewers: Shimano Exage
Rims: Mavic M231 CD 36 hole
Hubs: Shimano Exage RM50
Tyres: WTB Vulpine SS Comp 26 x 1.95

Saddle: Selle Italia Turbo Modern Woven
Seatpost: Brand X Inline 6061 26.4mm
Seatpost Binder: Miche

Weight: TBC but not as heavy as you'd think

I've not ridden it properly yet and obviously the Haldon has been cancelled now so will have to take it on some local runs (as part of my daily exercise) to see if the effort was worth it, but a quick go up the street bodes well.

Back