1989 Merlin Retro-Mod

addicted

Retro Guru
Purists look away ;)

Well gents here we go. I purchased this as a frame only and always wanted to build an older frame with newer parts. So here it is, a wonderful bike to ride wth a mix of Ti and carbon that fits like a glove. 2x9

Frame: 1989 Merlin

Fork:Exotic Carbon

Headset: Cane Creek S6
Stem: Titec Titanium
Handlebar:Bontrager Crow Bar titanium
Grips: Gripshift
Barends: N/A

Brakes: Cane Creek Curve 3
Brake Pads: Cane Creek
Brake Cables: ?
Cantilever cable hangers: N/A
Brake Levers: Cane Creek

Shifters: Sram XO
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
Rear Derailleur: Sram X9
Derailleur Cables: ?
Cassette: Sram
Chain: Sram
Cranks: White Industries Eno
Crank Bolts: ?
Chainrings: White Industries Eno
Chainring bolts: ?
Bottom Bracket: Stock
Pedals: CNC Palin

Hub Skewers: Bontrager
Rims: Bontrager
Hubs: Bontrager
Nipples: ?
Spokes: ?
Tyres: Panracer FireXCpro
Tubes: ?

Saddle: Bontrager
Seatpost: Thomson
Seatpost Binder: Stock

Weight:? IMG01362.jpg naked metal 043.JPG naked metal 046.JPG naked metal 044.JPG naked metal 054.JPG naked metal 033.JPG naked metal 036.jpg

Last edited:
Re:

Very nice build, I used to drool over Merlin metalworks frames bitd , beautifully crafted pieces of Titanium art , no doubt she'll will ride like a dream too, I like the cranks , think they suit well, carbon fibre forks are trim too, although I'm a little unsure about the red tyres :)

Re: Re:

Old&slow":144jd1lp said:
Very nice build, I used to drool over Merlin metalworks frames bitd , beautifully crafted pieces of Titanium art , no doubt she'll will ride like a dream too, I like the cranks , think they suit well, carbon fibre forks are trim too, although I'm a little unsure about the red tyres :)

I agree. The red tyres came off of my black and red Klein Mantra that I converted to discs. I will use until they are worn.

Ollie":3keffrit said:
Nice build :) .

Thanks Ollie.

To me the only thing that has improved with time is shifting technology and shocks, so that is why I wanted to do this build a mix of old and new.

Back