Gold Trader
rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View
Finally I've got my hands on a big framed (23-20) Jack Taylor Tandem.
531 Tourist butted throughout with Campagnolo dropouts... Matching frame and rear rack numbers and by the frame count this would have been one of the last 4 tandems (8638/8639/8640/8657) made by Norman out of his garage after the main workshop shut, so also not a Jack paint job so I don't need to be too precious about keeping the current faded, chipped and flaking one.
Right now it's covered in all sorts of good, bad & ugly, so nothing other than the seat posts and rear stem are likely to survive the strip down.

Bittersweet day though as this was hopefully going to be just a case of swapping all the lovely 1990 DX & Stronglight kit from the Majestic Two and off we go! But no, unfortunately after an initial inspection of the tubes I've found a cracked fillet between the top tube and Captains seat tube & far worse an almost completely cracked through stokers seat tube.

Ah well, if I get them fixed it really will be a blank canvas paint wise!

IMG_3214.jpg IMG_3234.JPG IMG_3233.jpg IMG_3230.jpg
Right now

Last edited:
Lovely!
And then, oh no…
Seller didn’t know the frame was about to die a fiery death?
To be fair the thoroughly decent fellow I bought it off of was unaware of it as they only had it in their possession for a very short time & hadn’t properly inspected it, and he has already offered help.

I’m off to the Taylor brothers old friend/rival Arthur Caygill (just spoke to the man himself) for a quote next week.

Last edited:
Nearly fully stripped down this afternoon. As usual nothing came off without a fight.
Last but very much not least the stem is stuck in the fork steerer.
Leaving it soaked in plus-gas for the night… fingers crossed for some movement in the morning.

Hmmmm….
It’s not playing nicely 😒 A1C0FE53-7844-4823-B33D-AEF3D791A986.jpeg

Last edited:
Back