Sold 1989 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 20" £500 plus UK postage.

boy"O"boy

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
*EDIT 06/09/23*
Decided to Relist for Sale. *SOLD*

I'm just not using this enough. My go to bikes are now my "O" , Five, and Cotic and while this is a great riding bike, I haven't taken it out once this year.

The Saab Carlsson has taken funds up this year and I want to complete the Pro-flex so I'm putting this up for sale again.

Priced at £500 plus UK mainland postage at cost. The price breakdown of what I actually spent is listed in the tread below.

I'll leave it a couple of weeks to see if it sells complete. If not, I'll break it for parts and start a separate thread.

I know this is sacrilege, but I did the same with the Dynatech Odyssey and achieved my asking price by breaking it. I'll offering it complete 1st though....just in case that buyer is out there.

Back in September last year, I bought 2 Frames and Fork from development_cycle with the aim of restoring both. The intention (as I promised my wife 🤦‍♂️) was to sell both once completed.
I like the Raleigh Odyssey more so I'm keeping this one.
With a prototype orange aluminium "O" to restore and a 2nd Dynatech Endeavour (both are going to require a fair bit of expenditure) something has got to give.

So, up for sale is my recently restored
1989 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp. 20" frame size.

This has been restored to catalogue spec. More details in the build thread here -

Full Shimano M730/ M732/ M735 XT groupset including Thumbshifters, crank caps, and pedals.
Odyssey Vapour stem and wide (600mm) Original Specialized bars.
Correct XT 4- finger with hood rubbers
XT rubber handled Q/R skewers.
Groupset polished and in great condition, but not NOS!!....so very rideable.

New Odi grips, Turbo saddle, Jagwire cables with blue outers. Straddle wires and yokes, toe clips and straps, bottom bracket, KMC chain.

The Frame and forks have been stripped to bare metal, etch primed and repainted in Citroën Blanc perle EFC (Pearl White Metallic) and clearcoated with 2K lacquer. The decals are custom colour speced from Velocals and have been applied over the lacquer.

I've swapped the T1 tyres out for period Tioga Wonderdawgs. These suit the clearance on the frame better than the T1's....they only frame I've found these fit without compromise is my Trek 8700!

I'm asking £700 for the whole package.
....It currently owes me more than this excluding initial purchase price!!:oops::rolleyes::confused:

I'm willing to post at cost. UK mainland only. PM me if interested. Can deliver within Leicestershire/ Warwickshire areas FOC.

Here's some pics. I can do specifics on request.

B/B to centre of T/T = 20"
Toptube length = 22"

Cheers all.
boy"O"boy

20210512_180227.jpg 20210512_180235.jpg 20210512_180244.jpg 20210512_180253.jpg 20210512_180324.jpg 20210512_180338.jpg 20210512_180416.jpg 20210512_180436.jpg

Last edited:
Bumping up..

Was on eBay with 30 watchers, but have taken it off due to their ridiculous sale fees.

Can't knock much more off the price of this as it owes me far more than the advertised £700
but will listen to near offers.

I've added a build spec- add your own prices to see how much a build like this would cost! I've added the frame/decal and paint costs to start you off...

Frame + Fork + headset
Strip to bare metal, etch prime and repaint.
Custom decals from Velocals
£260

Odyssey Vapor 1" stem £25
Specialized 600mm 'widebar' £25

Shimano XT groupset
M732 Thumb shifters £65
M730 4 - finger brake levers with hood rubbers £35
M735 long cage rear mech £25
M732 front mech 28.6mm £22
M730 Chainset with SG chainrings + crank caps £55
M730 cantilever brakes F+R £20
HG-70 rear cassette 12-28 £20
M732 hubs 32H with rubber handled levers £50

Jagwire cableset with blue outers £12
122mm bottom bracket £18
KMC 7spd chain £12
New straddle wires and cable hangers. £10
Correct seat Q/R mounted cable guide.
Kalloy seat Q/R with rubber handle

Rims - Specialized BX23 (hand built onto hubs) £50 + wheel building @ £75
Tyres - Tioga Wonderdawgs 1.95 £60
Tubes - presta £10
Grips - new ODi attacks £14
Saddle - selle italia Turbo £65
Seatpost - Kalloy 26.8mm (original)
Pedals - shimano M735 low cage £45
Toe clips- Mt. Christophe £12
Toes straps- blue nylon. £10

In excess of £991 to build.

Any questions, please ask.

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Last edited:
A fantastic job, congrats, pity I,m too short!

Hi poggiali. Thanks!
How are you getting on with the '92 Stumpjumper Pro I sold you? - that was another great bike but far too small for me. :rolleyes:

If folk are wondering about the sizing.
I'm 5ft 11" with 32" inside leg.
The sizing is the same as my Trek 8700 but with a slightly shorter stem and wider bars.

Cheers.
boy"O"boy 20210509_163502.jpg

Last call.....Price drop to £600 + postage.

If it doesn't sell at this price, I'll be breaking...

Keeping the groupset for myself and parting out the wheels and frame.

*TREK SOLD*
STUMPJUMPER NO LONGER FOR SALE

Cheers
boy"O"boy

Last edited:
Hey @boy"O"boy sorry to bump an old thread, not sure if there's a better way to go about asking this...

But essentially I have the same Stumpjumper frame, and am interested in repainting and decaling it as you did. Were you able to find the paint that the original was painted with? The original paint color is that off white, but then also has a pink opalescent finish...

Thanks in advance!

Hey @boy"O"boy sorry to bump an old thread, not sure if there's a better way to go about asking this...

But essentially I have the same Stumpjumper frame, and am interested in repainting and decaling it as you did. Were you able to find the paint that the original was painted with? The original paint color is that off white, but then also has a pink opalescent finish...

Thanks in advance!
Hi wjboh.

Thanks for the question. So glad I decided to keep this one. It's one of my favourite riders....must admit, I'm a convert to the Steel Stumpjumper. It's a great riding bike...especially with a rigid fork.

In terms of paint, have a look through the build thread in the 1st post and the investigation work to find it's true identity.
Originally, the frame I'd purchased had been repainted white over the original white. Traces of the original 'gold tinted' white were evident on the steerer of the fork.
To keep the costs down, instead of a paintshop colour match, I used manufacturer colour paint swatches to get the nearest match. I did this as it makes it easier to buy pre mixed aerosols from ebay if you match to a manufacturer.
The nearest I found was Citroën Blanc pearle EFC. (It has a blueish tint) Finished with 2K lacquer.
The decals were from Velocals in the states. www.velocals.com - not cheap at £60 plus ship and taxes but they are screen printed on clear and you can select custom colour ways.

Hope this helps.

boy"O"boy

Back