Sold 1989 Saracen Kili Flyer. £125 plus postage.

boy"O"boy

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all.

I've decided to let go of my 1989 Saracen Kili Flyer.
New projects and too many bikes have meant a couple of my riders have to go.

This tange prestige fillet brazed beauty was one of the last models to be hand-built in Warwickshire. The 'Wham' pink colour scheme certainly stands out. It also has the matching fillet brazed forks.

Build.
Deore DX mechs, chainset, headset, thumbies, 2-finger brake levers and Cantilevers.
The bars are original Saracen, the stem is a higher rise 3ttt with roller.
The headset had new bearings. The bottom bracket is a new Shimano sealed unit.
Low miles Schwalbe Street tyres and newer rims with deore hubs. Selle Italia saddle and kalloy seatpost with Saracen QR rubber handled lever.

The bad bits...
-The paint is very 'patina'. It's all original but there are patches of surface rust. It's definitely a 'survivor' - I chose to keep It's originality as it is a rider for me.
-The internal routing for the rear brake is blocked. I ran a cable through with the cable outers up against the in/out of the top tube but this was causing the rear brake to drag. It needed a full length outer cable but I couldn't run it through the top tube - hence it's got mounts on the outer of the top tube.
- I've keep the wheels I ran for my next build.
These wheels came off another bike. They are newer rims and Deore hubs...not in keeping with the rest of the build. The spokes are rusted.

Sizes are -
C-C seatube = 18"
C-C toptube = 21"
I'm 5' 11" and ride this with 8" of seatpost extention. It's slightly too small for me but I've compensated the low headset height with a higher rise of stem. I've done 30 mile + rides on this bike and haven't felt a compromise on comfort (except lack of suspension! - hence the change for my next rider build)

Price is £125
I will deliver FOC to Warwickshire and Leicestershire areas - please PM to confirm this though.
Postage is an option. This will cost an extra £30 to UK mainland addresses only.

Message here or PM with any questions.

Cheers
boy"O"boy
20211114_154848.jpg 20211114_154854.jpg 20211114_155010.jpg 20211114_154331.jpg 20211114_154939.jpg 20211114_154926.jpg 20211114_155041.jpg 20211114_155049.jpg

Last edited:
Saturday bump.

I paid £85 for this frame and fork. Tange Prestige- fillet brazed headtube and fork in honest survivor condition.

- A near complete DX groupset (doesn't have the hubs) ... what's that worth? £90?

- original Saracen bars + Q/R

- The virtually unused Schwalbe tyres

- Modern rim brake wheelset.. just needs a bit of cleaning.

Would rather not go down the lines of breaking as this is a decent rider for not much $$
.....but I really need to make room for new projects.

....and it's bright pink!

Cheers all.
boy"O"boy

I'd hate to see this broken up, and sincerely hope it sells intact to someone who will ride it, as stated above if I had the space for a full bike I'd have already bought this.

However if it comes down to splitting then I'd be very interested in the frame, forks and bars, I could just about make room for those in the garage, wheels sadly I have absolutely no space for and all the other bits I'm fine for. As much as I'd love the frameset I'll not weep if a buyer takes the bike as is.

I'd hate to see this broken up, and sincerely hope it sells intact to someone who will ride it, as stated above if I had the space for a full bike I'd have already bought this.

However if it comes down to splitting then I'd be very interested in the frame, forks and bars, I could just about make room for those in the garage, wheels sadly I have absolutely no space for and all the other bits I'm fine for. As much as I'd love the frameset I'll not weep if a buyer takes the bike as is.

Cheers.
I've answered PM'S. If going down the splitting route gets this Survivor a good home, I don't mind doing it.
It's been built from a DX groupset I had on a previous build...so I'm not too precious about breaking in that sense.
In terms of the cable through the top tube....
I needed to use a full length of outer cable to make the rear brake work properly. It was catching and not allowing the cantilevers to return to their original position.
I fed an inner cable through no problems and the outers were cut at the cable stops, but this caused the brake problem.
Essentially, I can't feed a full outer cable through.. it's blocked by what's jammed in there....hence the clip solution.

It's a nice riding frame....just cosmetically a bit rough.

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Back