1988 Ritchey Force Comp - I'm pretty sure

NigelFinnighan

Rocky Mountain Fan
This was a project I was hot and cold on and back and forth on for a long time. I found it in a shed of a vacant house we were listing, so naturally, I inquired about it. I threw out an offer, and after a little back and forth we settled on a price. It was in decent shape, but I quickly fell out of love for it. I realized that though super cool, it's just a little too old for my liking and couldn't justify explaining to my wife why I need to keep IT, along with the others. So, I did what any man like me, like us, would do... I asked around to the people closest to me to see if they would be interested in riding around and taking care of an old cool Ritchey. I started with my dad. He said yes- So thus began my first ever commissioned bike project! or at least this is what I've told m wife! (wifey if you read this I'm obviously joking)

Because it was now going to my dad, I wanted to keep the costs low on it. I didn't want him freaking out about it getting stolen. So all I did was strip it, clean it, rebuild it. Replaced the cables with grey JagWire, which I think are super cool. I found a cheap "vintage" looking seat online, and took these grey Kendas off a stalled project. In the end, I fell in love with it! It's so fun to ride, just different enough from everything to be interesting, and I think it looks super cool!- it's still going to my dad, so he will be bombing to and from the coffee shop on it- But It'll officially, but secretly staying in my collection.

IMG_2155.jpeg
From what I know understand it's a 1988 Ritchey Force Comp- A Canadian market only name- but basically what would have been an Ascent Comp everywhere else. I guess there was an agreement up here for a while that Rocky Mountain Bikes distribute Ritchey. (I've read differing accounts to this so I'm not sure). The frame is a M (I would believe) @ 18.5. Due to it being pre-internet, and a Canadian only type thing, there isn't a bunch of information out there. I believe these were offered 88 & 89, this one being an 88 because it has the 88 only Shimano "Mountain LX"- or had anyway, I took the LX shifter/levers off because I hated the cheap plastic levers (they're being kept aside safely) and I believe it's an early 88 because it still has the U-brake. I've seen others out there listed as 1988 with the "Mountain LX" but with rear Canti's.

Cool storry and nice find. We're all somehow hopeing for something like this :p

Just not sure if you've done your dad a favor by mounting those grey Kendas.
Maybe it has changed, but the colored Kenda tires i have experienced so far had been extremely cheap produced, very thick sidewalls and so enormous heavy and also not fitting well at all.
Its a pitty but there are no other new and affordable choices for grey MTB tires, but too me those Kenda are simply a bad choice other than looking good on wallhanger bikes (from distance).

Goes without saying that frameset is beautiful, grey and yellow is quite an unusual pairing but it works really well, the fact it's being ridden and enjoyed on a regular basis and was put together by a son for his old man just adds to its charm. 👌

Thanks joglo- yes I admit these Kendas are form over function, they're not the best, but an upgrade from what he's got!

Tsundere- Yeah it's an unusual colour choice for sure- but this is as factory assembled colourwise. it's grown on me.

Your old man is gonna smash it around town on this!

Good work.

Quite fancy a Ritchey at some point...

This was my first "real" mtb bike, except it was silver with a black fork. Lost the frame in a house fire, sold the fork here a few years ago, still have some misc parts in my parts bin.

It was a fun bike to ride, yours looks great.

Cool old ritchey. Back in the 80's my brother asked me to buy him a used mountain bike and told me I could use it for the summer until he went back to university. I found a Ritchey Force Comp at the local consignment place - probably a year old. Since it was in his budget and ticked off all the boxes I bought it and rode it that summer. One day I was riding to the gulf islands for a day trip on the bike and a guy passes me in the line asking how I liked it and telling me that he worked for RockyMountain and that they built it. Next year I saved up enough to buy my own mountain bike and I picked a RockyMountain Fusion. It was effectively the same bike just with RockyMountain branded bars, stem, saddle over the Ritchey ones.

They were great bikes - we beat the hell out of them. I never liked the U-brake. If mine had come with Canti's I probably would have kept it longer. I sold the Rocky to a friend who had it stolen shortly after. My brother kept his for a long time and then finally pitched it when disc brakes and suspension ruled the roost.

I believe they were both made by Toyo in Japan for Ritchey/RockyMountain.

Back