1988 Raleigh Technium The Chill

Calm down, calm down......or as the kids say "Chill"

Full marks everyone. I should have tried to make it more difficult.

DSC_1366.JPG
It's a bit heavier than I expected, but there's plenty of nice parts. It just needs a good service.
Does anyone have the original specifications? I guess most of it is original, aside from the LX mech, but did they come with a Mavic headset?

Last edited:
Nice! Always liked the Techniums. I don't know the original spec but I'm pretty sure the Mavic headset isn't original.

Love the cables.
Me too - I assume someone has added those, since the catalogue has plain coloured cables.

Which leads to: What is original and what isn't?

I don't have a spec list, so all I have to go on so far is this shot from the catalogue and any other 1988 Chill's I can find.

1988 Technium The Chill.jpg
[stolen fro, somewhere and already forgotten where]

Original
* frame, forks (missing decals, but dropouts look the same)
* Deore/MT-60 cranks (shimano dated MD and ME) and outer and granny ring
* Deore/MT-60 pedals
* Deore/MT-60 thumbies
* Deore/MT-60 cantis, U-brake and levers

Non-original
* Mavic headset
* Campagnolo ATB middle ring
* LX front mech (I assume it was originally Deore)
* colour-matched gear cables (I'm a big fan of coloured gear cables with black brake cables https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/1988-raleigh-magnum.330031/ )
* Specialized bar ends
* brake pads (Fibrax)
* saddle (I'm assuming it didn't come with a Selle Royal 'The Comfort SeatTM' as standard)
* tyres, tubes and chain
* mudguards and bell!

Unsure
* wheels - Mavic M281 CDs laced to Deore hubs with Shimano skewers - I assume these are standard (and hopefully salvageable with a good clean and service)
* stem - it doesn't match the catalogue, since it has a pulley, but it does match others I have seen on Chills (e..g. here and here) so I guess it is.
* bars - the ones in the catalogue look like they might have some rise(?) but the shimmed ITM bars I have match the ones on this one.
* grips - I don't know, but they are harder than a stale baguette, so they'll be replaced regardless
* bottom bracket - assumed original
* cassette - missing one tooth, but not that worn
* seatpost - I haven't cleaned it to check for stamping yet, but I guess it's original
* seatpost clamp - Kallot QR with a similar design to the Shimano ones - original? I would guess so

Back