1988 Concorde Colombo PDM (Campagnolo alternative)

Benandemu

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So, a good few months back I was passing Martin's (HarryCrumb) house and popped in for a cuppa and a catch up. It's always a bit surreal when you're in a tight space with him and 50+ bikes - I mean, there's just so much to take in. Sometimes I end up in there for over an hour and miss whole bikes that have snuck their way in since I was last there. Anyway, as I was leaving, I noticed a new addition hanging up high on the wall, and my initial reaction was two fold - firstly, it was a Concorde with Starfish cranks, and secondly, it was my size and not Martin's. I think they were actually my comments at the time too. Martin acknowledged my interest, and my reference to it being my size (I must add here that we've known each other a long time, and that one sentence would have been enough to decide the fate of that bike. All we needed to do was sort the deal.), and the rest is a deal involving XTR M950 wheels and shifters. He also mentioned that it came from Colin who's also a forum member on here.
As I was in a rush to get back, I asked Martin to send me a picture, and delay on letting me take delivery as I wasn't expecting another bike, and room was an issue. Here's the picture he sent...

34rvq7o.jpg

Not bad, but needed some work to get it rideable. He'd already cleaned the rims and greased the hubs. He'd also cleaned the mechs up, but the rest was still pretty tired. I wasn't looking for a full resto job here, but more a gentle makeover respecting it's patina and identity. That involved a late night with some touch up paints, T-cut, and car polish. I even retained the original outer cables, and sourced some really good vinyl bar tape to Retain the 'right' feel. The saddle is my old one from way back when, and the tyres, chain, and pedals (spd and allows me to use my usual shoes) were bought especially for the occasion. I'll let the pictures do the talking, but it's exactly how I wanted it to turn out, and I can't wait for a dry day on the club run. Honest, interesting, unusual, and clean!

xmtpir.jpg

256epnn.jpg

1rsq2u.jpg

t01ee9.jpg

aw6t5i.jpg

qrkmqt.jpg

2n8d5x3.jpg

2en3gxe.jpg

xpww93.jpg

Re: 1988 Concorde Colombo

Thanks gents.
I've got a matching Regal saddle in black, and I can't tell you how many times I switched between them, swapping white and black cables as I went as well - haha! I started looking too deep into getting it perfect, but stopped some way short as I realised I wanted to simply honour its integrity and originality which became more important to me.

Re: 1988 Concorde Colombo (Campagnolo alternative)

Very nice; subtle changes but it looks the business. Iconic paint-scheme, very cool indeed.

Re:

That looks great, I love Concorde's and the Mavic mix with the PDM colours looks good. BTW, you could get away with either black or white Regals :cool:

Thanks for all the positive comments.

I have to admit a small amendment to the build, as when I gave it a quick test around the block things weren't right in the headset. Upon inspection it seemed that the bearing cage on the top race had disintegrated, and it was very rough. I'd previously tried to remedy the old 'rough headset stuck in the dead ahead position' by simply adding fresh grease, but sadly this was too far gone. A quick search on eBay brought up quite a few to choose from, and I must stress that I was very keen to retain as much of the original headset as possible, so an identical one was bought. £25 wasn't bad price for a nice Miche headset all the way from Budapest.

Here's the new...

2mydnqo.jpg

I only ended up using the top cups and race, as the lower ones on mine are fine. Look carefully and you'll see where the bearing race was being chewed up by the bearings and bits of bearing cage...

se670x.jpg

perfect execution as always, I knew it was going to the right home, just the right amount of upgrades to keep it honest

Back