1987 Marlboro Claud Butler Majestic 2 tandem FINISHED pg13

Did you figure out the front brake? What about a short-arm v-brake for the front....not exactly retro, but potentially massively more stopping power than the cantis?
Something to consider, ta

That is looking really smart, and coming along nicely. Glad the seatpost and crank gave up with out having to resort to brutal methods
Looking forward to watching it come together.

Jamie

That is looking really smart, and coming along nicely. Glad the seatpost and crank gave up with out having to resort to brutal methods
Looking forward to watching it come together.

Jamie
Thanks Jamie,
I’m looking forward to riding it with Jim, might ask for some hints & tips on that front! Hoping to bring it along to the JT ride this summer. 😁

Hi mate, we didn't even think about it really, just got on and rode. Communications the key ;)
The wheels look good and beefy so should be fine if built properly. I have a pair of NOS MA2 40 holes in the loft for when we need them but the Scot runs a Swallow 7 speed hub on the back mated to a 50 hole Mavic front is a 40 hole. We just run the canti brakes and they work fine, they are Shimano short arm ones. It did have a rear drag brake which is a sidepull mounted on the underside of the rear seatstays.
On mine the right front was a normal non aero lever on the left was/is a Shimano 7 STI, the brake controls the rear brake but the gear lever did the rear drag brake, not great but it worked when held across the way. Took a bit to get used to and then I disconnected it all when I was going to change the bars as I also didn't like the weird look of an STI on one side and an aero lever on the other. Oh the vanity :) I would like a straight forward drum drag brake but really like the Swallow hub, so smooth. My whole bike was meant to be stripped and cleaned and rebuilt during the winter but we just like riding it. Maybe soon, but in the meantime I will enjoy watching you work you magic on this one :)

Jamie

All change on the wheel front.
I called the guys at JD Tandems in North Yorkshire initially to order some tandem spokes (2.3mm at the J end) but then got chatting about my wheelless project and the touring rims I have. After admitting the frames weight, my weight and Jimmy's they convinced me to have a set made up by them, especially if we wanted to carry kit on a tour!
So 48h front and back using Sapim spokes with Orbit tandem hubs on Kinlin rims.
87-158-list-comp14-1.jpg
176-376-list-comp13-1.jpg 778-2016-main-kinlin-006-107.jpg 951-2422-main-strong-121.jpg

Attachments

• 778-0-tn-kinlin-007-107.jpg
    778-0-tn-kinlin-007-107.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 4
Wheels built, with a set of Halfords own brand sealant filled tubes inside some fancy white walled 35mm Michelin World Tour summer tyres.
probably get some 38mm Schwalbe Marathons for the winter 82B82D08-8BE7-41A7-B520-0916365AE0A3.jpeg

Got the frame back from the powder coaters, turns out the metallic flake aluminium grey looks absolutely nothing like the RAL code swatch. Not sure yet if I like it. It does look better in the sunshine but it’s more like one of those modern glossed over primer greys you see on Landrovers or BMW’s. I think I’ll build it up and see if I get used to it..
so first job is to squirt silicone spray into all the tubes to help prevent any new surface rust appearing, re-cut all the threads and using a drill with a home made long emery cloth flappy device polish the inside of the seat tubes. 2E93140F-3493-4B6D-94BD-372EDD15AC2B.jpeg

Back